Mystery Mixing Valve---can anyone identify? Nibco

Users who are viewing this thread

Flutie7NFL

Reaction score
First, thanks for any thoughts on this. My son bought a condo and his shower mostly produces cold water, even though we adjusted the stop on the mixing valve. I wondered if it was simply debris inside, but the probable obvious course is to simply replace this valve, except there is nothing to identify the type it is. I have attached two photos of the outside handle and the plastic valve. Any ideas? The condo was built in 1988 if this helps at all. While I have your attention, I'd also like to ask about those shut off screws to isolate this valve. I have never fooled with these before. Anything I should know? They probably have not been touched in 20 years. And am I correct, use large channel locks to remove the copper ring to remove the valve itself?
Thanks for anyone's help.

Attachments

• shower valve.jpg
    shower valve.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 562
  • shower outside.jpg
    shower outside.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 542

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's a Nibco!
Click here and scroll down to page 48

As far as the integral stops... Maybe they'll work... Maybe they won't... Maybe they'll start to leak when you touch them... maybe they won't... Do ya feel lucky?

I'm not familiar with the valve it looks like that ring would unscrew.

Last edited:

Flutie7NFL

Reaction score
Thank you, Redwood!

Wow! A positive identification within hours. Thank you Redwood! This is GREATLY appreciated. And as far as the internal stops, I guess we'll have to try it as the only other way is to shut off the entire building that has 12 units in it. BUT, maybe that would be the safest way. We'll have to think that one over. First we'll locate a supplier for the valve. Thank you again!

ericpd

Reaction score
Wow! A positive identification within hours. Thank you Redwood! This is GREATLY appreciated. And as far as the internal stops, I guess we'll have to try it as the only other way is to shut off the entire building that has 12 units in it. BUT, maybe that would be the safest way. We'll have to think that one over. First we'll locate a supplier for the valve. Thank you again!

Yeah,... Redwood's got it going on! Some of those Nibco's look like the Delta I almost purchased,... went with the Moen instead for my project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks