Shower remodel - old shower supply is PVC/replace with CPVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Carrotguy

Reaction score
Hello all,

I did a search earlier today and I think I checked all of the related threads, but I'm throwing this out here to be sure.

I'm finishing up a shower remodel and I found that the current shower supply line is PVC, not CPVC. This is an older 3-handle price pfister manifold (where the hot, cold, and diverter valves screw in)...

As an aside, this is a 2-bath house and the other shower supply line is apparently the original copper, but the one we're fixing now is PVC.

There's a small leak at the manifold where the shower supply line connects. My goal is to remove the worn PVC line and install a new CPVC fitting and supply line.

The original PVC was 1/2". I've already purchased 3/4" CPVC. The only thing I need to do now is buy the adapter that will connect the CPVC into the manifold.

I've read that CPVC is more flexible... this is around a 5'-7' run of supply line I would guess. Is there anything that I might need to connect a CPVC shower supply line to the existing price pfister manifold other than one of those copper-to-CPVC adapters? I read something about specialty copper fittings required to go from different pipe diameters and I want to be sure I don't miss the chance to do the right thing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
CPVC

This is an inside the wall connection and you are going to jury rig a line between the copper and the valve, and also "flex" it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Carrotguy

Reaction score
Basically, i have to fix a shower supply line from a Price Pfister 3-handle manifold. Tthe previous shower supply line was 1/2" PVC, and I wanted to replace it with 3/4" CPVC.

I read a blurb about different expansion rates between copper and CPVC, and I thought that I would need a copper -> CPVC transition piece but I couldn't find what i needed at the orange box store last night.

The problem i noticed last night is - when using CPVC, I couldn't find a 90 degree elbow that was threaded to accept the shower arm.

I might have to use PVC. I know it doesn't handle hot water as well but the previous PVC supply line was in good enough shape.

Carrotguy

Reaction score
to clarify though... i only mentioned flex as i read that CPVC needs a bit more support... there were three pipe fasteners there already but i figure with a ~5' run, those should suffice. it's going to be a straight run.

psolutions

Reaction score
Plumbing Shower

Are you talking about a CPVC shower ell that the shower arm screws into? Its a shower ell that screws to the backing board. You should be able to find this in CPVC and a CPVC/brass. I would get the CPVC/brass for stability.

OR

are you talking about the actual fittings to thread onto the valve in a 90 slip on one end and threaded on the other?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Personally I don't use CPVC But if I was threading stuff into and onto CPVC I would use fittings like this..

cpvc-male-adapter-terrylove.jpg

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Sounds like a repipe is in order, too.

If the potable water in the house is PVC then it might be in your best interest to look into a whole repipe of your house. I get shivers just thinking of those PVC pipes in your walls.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just completed installation of a new tub/shower valve. The tub and shower were piped with CPVC using the connectors as Redwood pictured. They had preformed well for over 20 years, however I replaced everything with copper. I don't trust plastic pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks