(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: shower remodel - old shower supply is PVC/replace with CPVC

Default shower remodel - old shower supply is PVC/replace with CPVC

Hello all,

I did a search earlier today and I think I checked all of the related threads, but I'm throwing this out here to be sure.

I'm finishing up a shower remodel and I found that the current shower supply line is PVC, not CPVC. This is an older 3-handle price pfister manifold (where the hot, cold, and diverter valves screw in)...

As an aside, this is a 2-bath house and the other shower supply line is apparently the original copper, but the one we're fixing now is PVC.

There's a small leak at the manifold where the shower supply line connects. My goal is to remove the worn PVC line and install a new CPVC fitting and supply line.

The original PVC was 1/2". I've already purchased 3/4" CPVC. The only thing I need to do now is buy the adapter that will connect the CPVC into the manifold.

I've read that CPVC is more flexible... this is around a 5'-7' run of supply line I would guess. Is there anything that I might need to connect a CPVC shower supply line to the existing price pfister manifold other than one of those copper-to-CPVC adapters? I read something about specialty copper fittings required to go from different pipe diameters and I want to be sure I don't miss the chance to do the right thing.

Default Cpvc

This is an inside the wall connection and you are going to jury rig a line between the copper and the valve, and also "flex" it?

basically, i have to fix a shower supply line from a price pfister 3-handle manifold. the previous shower supply line was 1/2" PVC, and i wanted to replace it with 3/4" CPVC.

i read a blurb about different expansion rates between copper and CPVC, and i thought that i would need a copper -> CPVC transition piece but i couldn't find what i needed at the orange box store last night.

the problem i noticed last night is - when using CPVC, i couldn't find a 90 degree elbow that was threaded to accept the shower arm.

i might have to use PVC. i know it doesn't handle hot water as well but the previous PVC supply line was in good enough shape.

to clarify though... i only mentioned flex as i read that CPVC needs a bit more support... there were three pipe fasteners there already but i figure with a ~5' run, those should suffice. it's going to be a straight run.

Default Plumbing Shower

Are you talking about a cpvc shower ell that the shower arm screws into? Its a shower ell that screws to the backing board. You should be able to find this in cpvc and a cpvc/brass. I would get the cpvc/brass for stability.

OR

are you talking about the actual fittings to thread onto the valve in a 90 slip on one end and threaded on the other?
    Plumber in Columbia SC
    Plumbing Solutions LLC
    Residential Plumbing & Repair

Personally I don't use CPVC But if I was threading stuff into and onto CPVC I would use fittings like this...

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment 99k's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    Personally I don't use CPVC But if I was threading stuff into and onto CPVC I would use fittings like this...

I think you are spot on redwood. You are a walking supply store

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Default Sounds like a repipe is in order, too.

If the potable water in the house is PVC then it might be in your best interest to look into a whole repipe of your house. I get shivers just thinking of those PVC pipes in your walls.

I just completed installation of a new tub/shower valve. The tub and shower were piped with CPVC using the connectors as Redwood pictured. They had preformed well for over 20 years, however I replaced everything with copper. I don't trust plastic pipe.