Trap Arm Offset

Users who are viewing this thread

AlexSPK

Reaction score
I have a 6" waste stack from which a 2" trap arm runs about 36" to a kitchen sink trap. The trap arm is threaded into the 6" stack. I need to offset the trap arm into a wall and just found out I have no room to use two 1/8th bends to make the offset. I don't like the idea that much, but is it ok to use two galvanized 90s to make the offset? Only a single bowl sink and dishwasher will drain through this connection.

-Alex

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Have you tried transitioning to PVC and using a 45 and street 45? The make up on two 90s is going to be more than that of two 45s. Its never a good idea to use a 90 on a horizontal section of drain piping. In fact, it is against code here unless the 90 is a long sweep.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Galvanized pipe fittings are not designed for drainage, they are for gas or water under pressure. Durham fittings are threaded fittings designed for drainage...but why bother since there are plenty of other good methods to plumb drainage?

AlexSPK

Reaction score
I can only use cast iron or galvanized pipe and fittings for this installation. It's on the 22nd floor of a hi-rise building. In fact, the cast iron can't even be no-hub. I can't touch the cast-iron stacks. Galvanized fittings and pipe are used all the time here for venting and drainage. I just need an opinion about putting two 90s at the end of 36" trap arm.

etg

Reaction score
You do not want to use 90's in your case. Riohyde touched on the code issue but I'll touch this issue.

It's a commercial? high rise and sinks are usually used for one thing - pouring coffee and coffee grounds down the drain. 90's would be very bad in this case unless you really enjoy using a sewer auger on short distances.

Just a thought to pas on...

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you got good insurance???

Just In my humble opinion...

maybe you have done plumbing for years and years, I dont know.

but being on the 22nd floor of a high rise building is not
really the best place to be learning the plumbing trade....
or fooling around with anything in general.....

hopefully , you are not messing with the water system too?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
fools rush in where wise men fear to tread...

I dont go above 5 floors high and never will just becasue of the HUGH liability that can incur from just one very small leak....

If you have not done a lot of plumbing, it could cost you or your insurance company a large bundle , and they arent going to be happy.

niether are the neighbors below you either.

I apologise if you are capable of doing this work, but

all I am saying is it might be better to cough up some dough to the maintainance staff of the building and have them do this for you,
or call a plumber willing to risk it all,

then you are off the hook if something goes wrong.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fittings

Galvanized fittings are not designed for drainage, even though they are used for it. The elbow creates a "wide spot in the road" for the waste and debris will accumulate in the elbow. And galvanized can accumulate rust faster than cast iron elbows. Durham/drainage cast iron elbows have the inside of the fitting reduced to the same size as the pipe so there is no natural spot for a stoppage to begin and being cast iron it has less tendency to rust in that application.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks