10yo WH: change anode rod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Newowner123

Reaction score
10 year old State Select 50 gallon gas WH. Working fine. I don't think the previous owner changed the anode rod ever. I wanted to change the anode rod but am balking for two reasons: 1) I read it takes a massive amount of torque to get it out; and 2) the hex head is hidden behind the vent and both water inlet and outlet nipples.

I read about the option of an anode rod attached to the hot water outlet nipple. Anyone tried it? Was it available in Home Depot or Lowes?

And more critically, is it worth the trouble to add the anode rod for this WH, given its age?

Your advice are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
10 year old State Select 50 gallon gas WH. Working fine. I don't think the previous owner changed the anode rod ever. I wanted to change the anode rod but am balking for two reasons: 1) I read it takes a massive amount of torque to get it out; and 2) the hex head is hidden behind the vent and both water inlet and outlet nipples.

I read about the option of an anode rod attached to the hot water outlet nipple. Anyone tried it? Was it available in Home Depot or Lowes?

And more critically, is it worth the trouble to add the anode rod for this WH, given its age?

Your advice are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

I'd say that it's Too Late

Just ignore the "for love" part of that song......unless you love that water heater "that" much. :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks