Venting a Washing Machine

Users who are viewing this thread

xenogent

Reaction score
I am installing a machine in a detached room that also houses the water heater. There is no other plumbing. I am wanting to run the stack up, inside the existing outside wall. My problem occurs when I take the drain out through the wall and laying a new drain line to the existing sanitary sewer.

Taking the grey water from the washer, down a 2" pipe through a 2" p-trap through a 2" Tee reduced to 1 1/2" for the vent...how do I go from the end of the Tee, out through the wall and into the ground without crearing an S trap?

I really appreciate that this forum is here. I don't know anything about you Terry, but i am grateful for your thoughtfulness.
Kindest regards,
Ed

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
You are venting the washing machine properly...so I don't think you really understand what an "s-trap" is.

As far as installing your drain piping...that's for you to figure out.

Mikebarone

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am installing a machine in a detached room that also houses the water heater. There is no other plumbing. I am wanting to run the stack up, inside the existing outside wall. My problem occurs when I take the drain out through the wall and laying a new drain line to the existing sanitary sewer.

Taking the grey water from the washer, down a 2" pipe through a 2" p-trap through a 2" Tee reduced to 1 1/2" for the vent...how do I go from the end of the Tee, out through the wall and into the ground without crearing an S trap?

I really appreciate that this forum is here. I don't know anything about you Terry, but i am grateful for your thoughtfulness.
Kindest regards,
Ed

Can you send a sketch of what you’re talking about? You lost me about half way through, but it’s late, and maybe if I read it again tomorrow, I will understand it….LOL

Mike

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
... There is no other plumbing. ... run the stack up, ... down a 2" pipe through a 2" p-trap through a 2" Tee reduced to 1 1/2" for the vent...
Search on standpipe and come back with another description using that word or post a drawing. Describe very well which way is up and which way is down. Example: what does run the stack up mean? Is your washing machine below the level of your drain? Is the level of your proposed P trap a lot higher than your proposed new drain outlet ? Don't mention S traps; someone will point it out if it's in description. I doubt it because you have venting after the P trap so any fall is OK; that is what vented drains are for.

David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks