Basement toilet on floor drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

2lefthands

Reaction score
We are redoing our basement and discovered an old (metal) shower stall behind some wood paneling and a floor drain. So now we are thinking of adding a bathroom. I am swapping the shower for a more contemporary one. Can I put a toilet to drain into the floor drain or do I need to put a separate drain into the slab?
ps: the floor drain is located about 10 inches next to the main drain pipe. I saw some standing water ~2.5ft in. I tried to augur but cant get much further than 3ft.

thanks!

Pat

Last edited:

2lefthands

Reaction score
So then I need to put a new drain to the main drain pipe in? That would require opening up the floor :-(
Incidentally that old shower drains fine.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A toilet has an internal trap, so even if the drain was big enough, you'd have two traps in a row...not good!

Unless the slab is post tensioned, cracking it to change the plumbing around is messy, but not a horrible job. Keep in mind, though, that the drain lines must have the proper slope, so that might be an issue since the elbow under a toilet would require some depth. You have to also have vent lines for the fixtures, which, depending on how things are layed out, might need to go either up to the roof on its own, or maybe the attic. This could entail breaking up some walls upstairs to route that line.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
So then I need to put a new drain to the main drain pipe in? .....
No, you keep a portion of that pipe so you are still using it. You remove the part that is now holding water. That is its P Trap. You cut off that part and keep the rest. You add a "closet bend" and send the toilet waste into the pipe without any P trap. (Since toilets already have P traps in them.)

David

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A toilet requires at least a 3" drain. Your floor drain may or may not go into a 3" or larger drain. You also have to have a vent for the toilet. You have not indicated if there is a vent for the floor drain. Obviously, there is more to your problem than just removing the floor drain and installing a flange. I think you would be well advised to engage a plumber for this one.

psolutions

Reaction score
Plumbing Toilet

This is definitely not a do it yourself, unless your a plumber:)

The area you are adding the toilet. Is it close to the outside wall? Would it be possible for you to take the drain out the back and tie in the bathroom group separately to the sewer main? Its an idea, but limited to the position of where you want your bathroom.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks