(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: warm water from cold water line

Hybrid View

Default warm water from cold water line

The cold water line downstream from the water heater is siphoning water from the water heater causing the cold water to be warm when it come out of the faucet. What do I do?

You look for and eliminate the cross over!
    Usually a faucet that the hot and cold can be turned on and the outlet plugged, a recirculation system problem, or, a defective single handle faucet valve.

There is a "T" that feeds the water heater and then keeps going to a few outlets. If I turn off the valve to the heater I get cold water downstream. Is there such a thing as a one way valve going to the water heater to prevent this siphon?

Quote Originally Posted by truckeebirdie View Post
    There is a "T" that feeds the water heater and then keeps going to a few outlets. If I turn off the valve to the heater I get cold water downstream. Is there such a thing as a one way valve going to the water heater to prevent this siphon?
    It's not siphoning, I guarantee it!
    What you decribe is a normal cold distribution system...
    There is another problem!

I'm very confused. When I turn off the hot water supply valves at the downstream faucets I still have warm water. It's not just one downstream outlet that has this problem, it's everyone.

Also if I turn on a hot water faucet upstream to the heater I get cold water at the downstream faucets.