Main Service Panels separate neutrals but multiple grounds in bus bar

Users who are viewing this thread

Mr_Magoo

Reaction score
I just want to confirm that in my main service panel I am suppossed to put the neutrals in individual holes of the bus bar but multiple (2 or 3) grounds can go in an individual hole. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Mike

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
No

Service panel:
Grounds and neutrals on same bus.
ONE neutral per hole
Multiple grounds per hole if the bus is listed for multiple grounds.

Panels other than service panels ("sub panels"):
ONE neutral per hole
Multiple grounds per hole if the bus is listed for multiple grounds
Neutral bus isolated from ground bus.

Mr_Magoo

Reaction score
Thank you. I worded my question poorly and you confirmed my understanding of one neutral per hole. How would I know if the bus bar is rated for multiple grounds per hole? It is a SquareD Homeline Entrance Panel. I don't think there are enough holes in the bus bar for each ground and each common to get their own hole.

Thanks,
Mike

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never seen any rating that mentioned multiple wires in each hole. If you've run out of space for ground wires, you can get add a lugs from an electrical supplier.

And Alectrician is right, the netural and ground are bonded together at the main panel but not at any sub panels to avoid return current from sub panels from using the ground as a neutral return path. But around here, the grounds are all terminated on the grounding bus bar and the neutrals are all terminated on the neutral bus bar but the neutral bus bar is just bonded to the panel with an optional screws that's included with the panel.

pudge565

Reaction score
Normally if it is rated for 2 grounds per hole it will be egg shaped and not round. You are only allowed 2 per hole if properly rated. No more than that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks