drain not level

Users who are viewing this thread

the pelon

Reaction score
I had a "professional" replace a 1 1/2" drain and change it to a 2" drain for a new shower. I have now noticed that the piece sticking out of the floor that my 2 piece cast iron drain connects to is crooked. When the drain is placed on the subfloor and connected to the ABS stub, it is 3/8" out of level front to back. What a joke. My tile guy says this is un sat and needs to be fixed. Short of tearing up the floor and cutting out the P trap, replacing it and making it level, I am hosed. Any ideas???

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Yes...I think that's too far out of whack to work; needs to be fixed. Unless you moved the pipe while backfilling and replacing concrete, IMHO, the plumber should fix it for free.

kgphoto

Reaction score
If you are using a Kerdi Drain, you can adjust for some out of level with that. I don't know if that is too much, I haven't had one that far our.

Recently I found trap that was not plumb ( Ha ha get it? Not plumb, sigh) I jammed it with a rock and then packed in concrete (drypack) around it. After it was hard, it was fine.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You don't want tension on plastic plumbing parts...stress cracks can take years to develop, but they do. The Kerdi drain is quite large in diameter, making minor errors in level get exaggerated - it's worse than a conventional clamping drain as it is probably at least twice as large in diameter to allow enough overlap bonding surface for the waterproofing membrane. On a clamping drain, there's probably 1/2-3/4" of overlap, on the Kerdi drain, there's at least 2", a major difference. The actual untiled area of the drain is approximately equivalent to a clamping drain, but in the case of the Kerdi drain, a significant part of the drain's top surface is tiled over, where basically none of a clamping drain is covered (at least not on the surface).

the pelon

Reaction score
when attaching a cast iron drain to a 2" ABS stub and using an ABS adapter, do the female threads on the drain have to botton out or can you use the threads as an adjustment for final drain height. I am using teflon paste on the threads. thanks, Pete

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you are threading a drain to a Male Adapter, then the connection needs to be tight.

If not, it will leak.

They do make clamping drains that have adjustable top parts though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks