toilet make-up water

Users who are viewing this thread

jamesml

Reaction score
I have just purchased and installed a Galaxy toilet. The problem is that the make-up water does not fill the bowl suficiently. I have installed a flapper that has the water cup that delays the flapper closing, but no help. I have captured the water from the make-up supply, and then added this water to the bowl, but it is insuficient to fill the bowl to a full level. Any suggestions?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water level

Take a pan of water and pour it into the toilet bowl slowly. Whatever the water level ends up is ALL that you will get with that bowl, regardless of how much water you send to it. Unless the bowl needs an enormous amount of water, your revisions should have had no effect on the outcome.

jamesml

Reaction score
Thanks. I understand what you are saying, and that is what I did, to establish the level that the make up water should fill to. Collecting the "make-up" water and adding it to the bowl after flushing came up short, leaving the bowl with little more than a 4 1/2" dia puddle.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not sure you did understand. Fill a pan or bucket with water. After the toilet has finished a flush and fill cycle, slowly pour water into the bowl. You can pour gallons down there, it won't matter if you pour slowly, it won't 'flush' again. Then, let it sit a minute or so. That is the most water that will ever stay in the bowl. Compare that to what happens when it flushes normally. IF they are different, then you have a problem. Some toilets have a VERY small water spot, and nothing other than replacing with a different model or brand will change that.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's the "why" of what you have been told. Inside the base of the toilet there is a P trap. This functions just like the P traps in all of you other drains, you just don't see it. Any P trap will hold only a certain amount of water. It fills the trap so that sewer gas can not get into the house through the drain. If you pour additional water into the trap, the same amount of water will be forced out of the trap. In other drains, we can't easily see the water in the trap because of the size of the drain pipe. However, the water we see in the toilet bowl is actually the water in the trap. This is commonly called the "water spot". The size of the spot will vary from toilet brand/model, and there is nothing you can do that will increase it.

jamesml

Reaction score
I do understand what you are saying. The water spot is governed by the trap weir. My problem is getting the 'water spot' up to that level.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some fill valves have a small rubber tube that feeds into the overflow tube. This is what refills the bowl after a flush.
Could you post a picture of the inside of your tank?

SamC

Reaction score
It sounds like there is not sufficient water going from the fill valve down the overflow during the cycle. Is the tube from the fill valve positioned so that all the water is directed down the overflow? Is there some obstruction or a crimp in the tubing. Some fill valves direct more water to the overflow than others. Is the fill valve original?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
When you are posting your reply you can click on the paperclip in the reply box tool bar and attach them.

jamesml

Reaction score
make up water pix

Terry - Here are the pix. Thanks.

Attachments

• Galaxy1.jpg
    Galaxy1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 213
  • Galaxy2.jpg
    Galaxy2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 202

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pictures

Nice pictures of the tank, now how about some of the toilet bowl which seems to be where you had your original problem. You can also use the little pins that are attached to the 555 FlushFixer to slow down the speed it drops and thus add more water to the bowl. Break off a pin and put it in one of the holes in the bottom of the cup. Flush the toilet and see how much improvement you get. There are five pins so just add a pin and flush until you get the results you want.

Last edited:

jamesml

Reaction score
After fiddling around with it I have a better fill. Not perfect, but adequate.
Thanks for you help. This is a REALLY nice site.

Again, thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks