Post tension cable is in the way

Users who are viewing this thread

VegasHomes

Reaction score
Need to move rough in to accomadate new tub overflow. Looks like a post tension cable is in the way. Am I s****ed

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Do NOT cut it! You need to talk to a structural engineer.

This kind of construction is common in earthquake country from what I hear. Cables are embedded in the slab with plates and bolts at the outside, after the slab cures, the bolts are tightened, putting tension on them (a LOT of tension). This helps prevent the slab from cracking if it gets bounced around or if the ground is unstable (like clay).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Post tensioned cable

Well, you can't move the cable.
Is there someway you can arrange the waste and overflow around where the cable is?

Sometimes you can use fittings and position the drain over a bit. I do that sometimes when a floor joist is "on center" with the drain.
There is normally about three inches you can move it with fittings.

Or you may have to raise the tub some.

VegasHomes

Reaction score
One end of the tub is against the wall the other end if we move it the other way it would go intowhere the shower is. Trying to see if we can use fittings to get it done but there is very little room to be able to tighten the connection to the p trap

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You did a very good job to DISCOVER the cable. The question we usually get is "hey, I cut this cable when I was jacking my slab.....what do I do now?" They can be reconnected, but it is not cheap!

VegasHomes

Reaction score
Just received a call back from a company here that does post tensioned slabs. He said that most are over engineered and the cutting of one cable should not be an issue. He says if cut it would move about 3 inches in the slab and not go shooting out the side of the foundation. Now I'm really confused.

VegasHomes

Reaction score
I think the cable would be a non issue if I use a direct outlet or direct drain overflow. Just have to find someone who has these, I understand it is hard to find.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks