(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Vanity supply and drain location?

Default Vanity supply and drain location?

I am replacing an old 30" standard vanity with a 30" door/drawer type 33" tall.

15" of the cabinet is covered by drawers leaving 15" to work with. Should the drain be centered in the 15" with the supplies on either side? Is 21" high for the drain about right for a 33" tall vanity?

Thank You
    Last edited by elgato; 09-16-2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Missing text.

Most likely you will need to offset the supply and drain to clear the drawers. Take some measurements of the cabinet before you layout the plumbing.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

For optimum locations of things, you really need to look at the spec sheet for the sink you choose...typically, they will have the preferred location of supplies and drain. Depending on if there is a drawer right under the top of the cabinet, or it has a blank space would determine where the sink can go...one of Newton's laws...two objects can't occupy the same space!
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default drain

The sink drain is going to right about at the edge of the drawers. The best place for the drain is within 2 1/2" of that location so you can make the connection to the trap by rotating the trap and not need offset fittings in the pipe to the wall. Water lines can be anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    The sink drain is going to right about at the edge of the drawers. The best place for the drain is within 2 1/2" of that location so you can make the connection to the trap by rotating the trap and not need offset fittings in the pipe to the wall. Water lines can be anywhere.
    Good point! Thanks. The trap only allows a maximum of three inches from center without an offset. This is why we ask before charging in.

Not sure what sink I will order. Does 20 - 21" sound right for drain height in a 33" cabinet?

Thanks again.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The height isn't the issue, it's the depth and width between the end and the drawers. Is it a drop-in or an undermount? You need to allow room behind for the faucet unless it mounts on the sink, too.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by elgato View Post
    Not sure what sink I will order. Does 20 - 21" sound right for drain height in a 33" cabinet?
    I usually use 19" to center for basin drain and 22" for basin water supply

Default trap

Measure the trap before you depend on its maximum offset dimension. It could be 2 1/2" for a 1 1/4" brass trap.