Bathroom Sink "Gurgling"

Users who are viewing this thread

Nin28

Reaction score
I have a bathroom sink that after running the water for a minute or two will gurgle after the faucet is turned off. The sink drains perfectly fine. Is this an indication of something in the future that could go bad? Thank you.

Nin28

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The sink is on the 2nd floor and about 3'-4' from the main waste pipe, which is vented on the roof. I don't get any gurgling from any other sinks in the house. Is it possible that this 4' run to the waste pipe needs its own vent? If that is the case I might just live with the gurgling because I would have to cut into a cast iron pipe and that really doesn't interest me. Thanks for any additional help!

Nin28

Reaction score
I will check the P-Trap and see if there is any clog there. Do you think I may have to run an auger through the waste pipe to clean it out? Thanks.

Bombjay

Reaction score
A proper drain cleaning is in order.A drain cleaner can yank the trap and run up a little and make sure the vent is open and down to give the line a good cleaning.
Good luck.

Nin28

Reaction score
OK. I took everyone's advice and popped open the p-trap and guess what, not clogged at all. That was surprising. So then I detached the pipe running from the sink to the p-trap and found that that was where the clog was. The pipe had about 1 centimeter hole where the water could go through. So took apart all the piping and gave it a good cleaning. I just installed the sink last year and I can't believe how dirty it got so quickly. I've used drain cleaner and that did nothing. Maybe I just used the wrong type of drain cleaner. Oh well. Cleaned it the good old fashioned way. Thanks for everyone's help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As you found out, drain cleaners often don't do much...they are best avoided - save your money.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks