Move washing machine

Users who are viewing this thread

Hardman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am adding a laundry room and need to move my washer and dryer. The move will be apx. 4' along the same wall. The drain transitions from cast to pvc with a trap under the slab. My question is - do I need to move the trap or just 90 over to the new location? My house was build in '76 so I'm sure things are done differently today - if I need to add a vent etc. please advise.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wm

The trap under the slab is not permitted any long, for several reasons, and adding pipe to the portion above the floor would just exacerbate the problems. There should be a vent in the wall so that you can attach a new proper drain pipe to it.

Hardman

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I remove the under slab trap - can I transition to pvc and just 90 up to a sanitary t and over the 4' then trap under the new washer box, or should I make that 4' move under the slab and come up under the new location?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes, removing the existing trap in the slab with a long turn 90, coming up to a santee and arming over four feet to a trap works fine.

You can go up to five feet with a 2" trap arm.
Of course you will be able to reuse the exisiting vent that way. That little pipe through the roof that keeps things working right.

Hardman

In the Trades
Reaction score
does the height of the sanitary t make a difference/ I will have to pass over the water lines that are about a foot above the floor plate in the wall. tell me how and I will attach a picture

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks