Caulk Shower Receptor

Users who are viewing this thread

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
On some or all one piece shower receptors there is an indentation, on the top of the base, about six inches in from the threshold. Should these be caulked closed at the wall board or left open? This is a discussion on johnbridges.com. Some tile setters feel that this is an air opening to behind the wall and should remain open so that water behind the wall can escape. Other setters and myself feel it should be caulked closed to keep water from getting behind the wallboard and that the indentation is for wall water to be redirected into the drain. What do you think?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've seen that too. Which brand are you looking at?
Maybe we can get ahold of their rep and find out what they think it's for.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Mustee

Mustee is the brand that started the conversation. I don't read anything in their installation instructions about not caulking. I have sent an email to Sterling and am awaiting a response. At johnbridge the thread is Shower Base Installation in their Professionals Hangout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks