Tust around tub flange/drain

Users who are viewing this thread

hinrichsscott

Reaction score
I have a standard tub but there is a growing rust spot in the tub right by the chrome drain flange (not on the flange itself). I want to take out the flange, sand down the rust, seal with enamel epoxy, and then re-install the flange. I have no access to under the tub. Can this be done? I've installed drains in sinks before but that was always from underneath. Can I remove the drain flange without access to under the tub? How? Can I re-install without creating a leak - will plumber's putty seal it? Will sanding down and coating the rust work to stop (or at least slow down) the growing rust in the tub?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like a steel tub close to the end of it's life...
That would have Do Not Disturb written all over it unless you are ready to remodel now.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

If it is a failing cast iron tub, (and it would be rare if it were), and the drain plug is not frozen in place because of a poor installation, you may be able to do it. But if it is a steel tub, when you remove the plug you may find the entire area underneath it has rusted away and there is no way to repair it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks