Moved Pres Tank/Nuetralizer/Softener now no cold water anywhere

Users who are viewing this thread

fornarog

Reaction score
I relocated my well pressure tank, neutralizer, water softener, and brine tank from the front of my basement to the opposite corner (I had a leak and it was way too close to the electric service panel).

After all was done and everything was connected, I turned the pump on and opened the valve to the house. When I went to turn on the laundry sink faucets, I had no water pressure at all on the cold side, but plenty of hot water. Eventually, a bunch of dark reddish/brown granules came out of the faucet, and it started flowing freely.

All of the other faucets and toilets are having the same problem. I removed the shower head on one of the 2nd floor showers and the pipe was clogged with this stuff. When I cleared the clogged, it flowed freely, but when I put the shower head back on, it slowed dramatically again. I am pretty sure the shower head is clogged as well.

1) What do you think this stuff is, and where do you think it came from. I am guessing it is mineral deposits that must have come loose when moving the pressure tank.

2) is there any easy/quick way to clear up the remaining toilets and faucets or do I have to remove and/or replace all of them?

Thanks!

Greg

fornarog

Reaction score
I was figuring that. Do you think it is the shut off valves or the actual faucets/ballcock assemblies?

Thanks,

Greg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It could be anywhere. I would disconnect at the easiest point on each and check to see which way you have to go.

Are you sure the softener didn't get reversed?

Last edited:

fornarog

Reaction score
the backwash cycle worked so I think thesoftener is fine

Last edited:

fornarog

Reaction score
Redwood, you were right.

What a bushleague move. After I correctly hook up the softener, I need to start disassembling the faucets etc.

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'lll probably need to buy some new resin...it probably all got flushed out the pipes.

fornarog

Reaction score
Boy, what a job. It has almost kicked my tail completely.

I still need to replace 2 valves in one Price-Pfister lavatory faucet (of course the local Home Depot doesn't carry that one), replace the filters in my Reverse Osmosis system, and re-charge the softener, then I am finished.

Last night, while the water was off, my DW used the camper sink. Guess what, leaking faucet. I guess my Saturday is planned as well.

I hate plumbing...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Yes the 'stuff' is resin. Did you plumb the softener backwards, in to out and out to in, or is the distributor tube and/or bottom basket broken?

Is the AN filter connected correctly?

You may have resin in the plumbing problems for some time. Especially in any solenoid valves and toilet fill valves.

fornarog

Reaction score
I did reverse the plumbing on the softener. What a pain. If I could afford to have someone do this kind of work I would, but with 4 kids, I need every nickle these days.

Hopefully, this stuff will flush through sooner than later.

Thanks

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I'll reply to your PM here; here's a copy.

Gary,

I checked the neutralizer (is that what you meant by AN) and it was correctly plumbed.

My softener doesn't have a fill opening (like my nuetralizer tank does). Can I add resin without removing the distribution stem, or do I need to go through the whole process of pulling the unit, draining it, replacing the gravel, etc.? The resin is now very low (only about 1 foot in the tank).

Is there a specific type of resin I need?

The head looks like it is set up with some sort of disconnect mechanism where the lines come in that is held in place with a small aluminum plate (1/4" by 1"). Is this correct or do I need to cut my pipes since the head can't be removed with the pipes in place?

Yes the neutralizing filter.

You'd buy new regular mesh resin and gravel for your tank size; the model number gives you the dia and height. I sell both. You disconnect the control from the by pass valve. You unscrew the control from the tank. The dist. tube may come up with it. You dump the resin and gravel. You put the DT back in the dimple in the bottom of the tank and add the new gravel and resin. Screw the control on the tank and reconnect to the BP valve. Put the control into the backwash position and fill the resin tank with water, and step the control through its cycle positions back to Service as you check the brine position is sucking water and not air and you're done. It will take 45-60 minutes.

fornarog

Reaction score
Awesome! I am looking on your site now for resin and gravel.

Thanks for everything!

fornarog

Reaction score
I can't say thank you enough to everyone for your advice. Unfortunately, my line of work doesn't lend itself to be able to repay the favor, but I am somewhat of an expert by experience in repairing and servicing travel trailers (campers) so if you have a question, feel free to PM me.

Greg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks