(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bathroom remodel quote

Quote Originally Posted by novicepiper View Post
    so let me get this right mr presidential nominee.....what your saying is - if i was to be as unfortunate to live in Connecticut (never been to Connecticut so im not negative) you would charge me through the nose becuse i earn more than the mississippi folk?

i may have red that wrong but thats what it sounds like to me you capitalist.....only joking - yeah i hear what your saying......every trade trys to screw the punter for as much as they can... the good ones just do a really good job also a joke - you helped me out a great deal on my last project - so i know your decent enough to have a joke with

im going to say this will probably cost me somewhere in the region of $4.5 $7K
    Yea thats kinda right. If you lived in French Camp Missisippi in a $45K shack we could use some of that good plumbing stuff that went to the dump in New Orleans after Katrina and your shack would have a nice upgrade. I wouldn't charge much cause it doesn't cost me very much for that old doublewide $47K tin house on wheels I live in just up the street from your shack...

On the other hand remodeling your $ 1.8M home in New Canaan, CT. might just cost a little more but then it costs me a little more to live there too...

Of course in French Camp we kin probably have Crawdads n Hot Sauce for lunch that we git out of the trap down in the crik.
    Last edited by Redwood; 09-17-2008 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by novicepiper View Post
    so let me get this right mr presidential nominee.....what your saying is - if i was to be as unfortunate to live in Connecticut (never been to Connecticut so im not negative) you would charge me through the nose becuse i earn more than the mississippi folk?
    Absolutely!.

For example, here in S. Calif. my little 600 sqft condo ( 1 BR ) would sell in today's market for $150k. 30 months ago, the were selling for $300K. Fortunately I bought mine in 1990 for $70!

The point is, skilled labor cost a lot more here than it does somewhere where a fairly decent house can still be bought for $100. ( There ARE places like that, no????)

Default ripoff

Charging more because you live in NJ or AZ, is not ripping you off. It is a function of the cost of living. If you make more by living in a certain area, then so will ALL the people who provide services to you. I do not quote materials separate from labor, since it is none of you business how much I mark things up. Your only duty is to evaluate my total price with others, along with your impression of our interaction, compared to others and decide who can give you the best job. I once had a customer call my wholesaler, saying she was my secretary, in order to get my cost on the tub I installed, and then wanted a discount based on what she thought I should have charged for it.

Not a Master Plumber novicepiper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Charging more because you live in NJ or AZ, is not ripping you off. It is a function of the cost of living. If you make more by living in a certain area, then so will ALL the people who provide services to you. I do not quote materials separate from labor, since it is none of you business how much I mark things up. Your only duty is to evaluate my total price with others, along with your impression of our interaction, compared to others and decide who can give you the best job. I once had a customer call my wholesaler, saying she was my secretary, in order to get my cost on the tub I installed, and then wanted a discount based on what she thought I should have charged for it.
    well that's just plain cheeky - i'll remember that one though and call before you install

Default Bathroom remodel

I think the bottom line is, beings you are capeable of doing this job yourself but it appears you don't feel you have the time. Then you have to ask the question " what is this worth to me and will I make enough on this computer job to pay for it." Some things are worth more to some people than others just not to mess with it. My self, I hate to pay for something that I can do my self.

Why are you making this so complicated? It's very simple. Call 4 contractors and have them all come to your house. Tell them exactly what you want to do and have them each give you their estimates. Done. End of story. Make contractor responsibility your number one priority and price your second, and then you'll be happy with the end result.

I'm sure you heard this before: don't pick the lowest price.

Nothing is free. If one person's price is lower than some one else's, there's a reason for it. I'm a strong believer in you get what you pay for.
    Gabe

Don't follow my advice, I only know a thing or two about a thing or two.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

I just came from quoting a homeowner on a flood control system. He was going to hire me on the spot, but I informed he he is best to get at least two other estimates first. There is two reasons for this, first is that I want him to feel comfortable with me and my prices and the amount of work I detailed on the quote. Second is some townships that have been having issues with their sewers backing up into basements will split the cost, but the home owner must prove they had gotten three bids, and selected the best bid for the price. These cities do not care to much about price, but they do care about the quality of the flood control system that the contractor is proposing to install.

So as everyone here is telling you just call a few local contractors and get the quotes. There is no way you can compare what your contractors in your area to what you get quoted here on the net. Cost of living is different in every area. If a contractor lives in an area where cost of living is high, his prices are going to be higher so he can survive.
    Last edited by SewerRatz; 03-20-2009 at 12:49 PM.