water heater options

Users who are viewing this thread

7echo

Reaction score
Going to do a remodel and will replace the water heater. I searched and see a lot of positive comments about Bradford White. The Marathon is heavily pushed by the electric company, and they seem like a really good, but expensive, heater. I searched and didn't find many comments on the Marathon. Would appreciate comments/opinions on the Marathon.
BTW, 2 adults and a 7 yo, probably going with something in the 75 gallon range.

Thanks

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
get a normal one

I cant give a Marathon away.....

they are too expensive and when you can almost buy 3
normal heaters for the pioce of that one, it does not make sense...

get a normal Rheem heater and simply put
a blanket on it...you will probably achiecve about
the same saveings...

I am sure that they are a great heater, but remember
all they do is heat water....

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are fairly certain your going to live in the home the rest of your life then it might be worth considering.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

I assume the Marathon heater is one with a plastic tank. If so, then I have had many "lifetime" heaters where the tank was okay, but the pipe connections to it failed and were not repairable. One customer bought his house because it had a Sears "lifetime" water heater. A couple of months later when it started leaking, he found out that the lifetime guarantee referred to the orignal purchasers time that he owned the tank. Once the house as sold, the warranty was voided. "Lifetime" does not always mean the tank will last forever, but rather,, that they will give you a new heater when it does break, but you have to install it, or pay to have it installed, yourself.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Wow they look really nice. But I got a Bradford White plus installation for less than the price of one of those.

I guess they do not do them in gas, do they?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Sears worms out of their warranties

I assume the Marathon heater is one with a plastic tank. If so, then I have had many "lifetime" heaters where the tank was okay, but the pipe connections to it failed and were not repairable. One customer bought his house because it had a Sears "lifetime" water heater. A couple of months later when it started leaking, he found out that the lifetime guarantee referred to the orignal purchasers time that he owned the tank. Once the house as sold, the warranty was voided. "Lifetime" does not always mean the tank will last forever, but rather,, that they will give you a new heater when it does break, but you have to install it, or pay to have it installed, yourself.

something else about the sears water heaters and the Marathon "life time warranites"...

that warranty never transfers on to the next customer...

it begins and ends with you.....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Marathon

If they are plastic as the assembly line photo implies, then they could not be used for a gas water heater. To compensate for that lack they spin the facts to imply that electric heaters operate cheaper than gas models, which may be true in the TVA area, but almost never anywhere else.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks