(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Tankless Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    curious as to the hardness of your water...
    You know ... that is a good question. We get a yearly water report. Every year everything always says "normal". I have never looked too closely at the reports however.

I just noticed a neat feature of the Rinnai 75LS.

If you hold down the UP arrow for a few seconds, followed by hitting the On/Off button, it will give you a GPM reading. The display only has enough room for 3 numbers, so a reading of 18, or example, would equal 1.8 gpm. I turned a bathroom tap on last night, full hot, the reading was 10 or 1.0 gpm. When my wife was showering this morning, it read 13 or 1.3 gpm, which sounds about right considering we have a 1.85 gpm shower head.

If you hit the down arrow, hold it for a few seconds, and then the power button, it gives a temperature reading of what is going out. While my wife was showering this morning, it stayed solid at 118. The unit itself was set to 120.

FYI

I am 17 days into my billing cycle. I have used 7 therms. I am on track for just over 12 therms. Depending on the billing factor and rounding, lets say 14 therms total. Last year at this time I used 24 therms. Potential savings of 40% ...

The reason I ask about water hardness is because it will cause your heater to loose efficiency over time.
    If You call the water department they should be able to tell you.

Sure it will ... just like it would a tank ... that is why it is recommended that it be flushed ... same with a tank.

Thanks about the water department tip ...

Called my water company and got my water consumption usage for the past year or so. As you can see there was no change between the bill I just got and the same time last year. The past few bills prior compared to last year however, they have gone up. I was only on a tankless really for the last bill however. Due to the fact that my water usage was the same this year as last year, I can safely conclude that for my 25% reduction in natural gas usage for last month (when compared to last year) was completely due to the tankless.

1970 Sep 08
    1790 Jul
    1690 May
    1530 Mar
    1610 Jan
    1600 Nov 07
    1970 Sep
    1720 Jul
    1410 May

Just got my October natural gas bill. Last year was 24 therms. This year was 14. That gives me a 42% savings.

October is a little dicey though because I could have turned the heat on last year. I did not need to this year until what ended up being the last day of my bill.

Combined savings to date is 35%.

Edit:

Now that the heat is on though, I basically have to stop the comparisons as I can not determine the natural gas consumption of my tankless and my furnace individually.
    Last edited by TheOak; 10-15-2008 at 09:03 AM.

Great post Oak, enjoyed the read. I installed the same unit 4 months ago and have loved it.

We did put a UPS battery backup on ours and actually put it to test when we lost power after Hurricane Ike. Just go out to garage and turn on UPS when one of us wanted a hot shower, then turn the UPS off afterwards! UPS charge lasted the duration of the 2 day power outage!

Greg
    "Dude, we can fix that. My old man is a TV repairman, he's got the ultimate set of tools!" --Jeff Spicoli

http://web.me.com/greg.saulsbury/ChosatongaSpeaks

Quote Originally Posted by gregsauls View Post
    Great post Oak, enjoyed the read. I installed the same unit 4 months ago and have loved it.

We did put a UPS battery backup on ours and actually put it to test when we lost power after Hurricane Ike. Just go out to garage and turn on UPS when one of us wanted a hot shower, then turn the UPS off afterwards! UPS charge lasted the duration of the 2 day power outage!

Greg
    This is great input!

UPS units are not that expensive, I was half thinking about getting one myself, but when it comes down to it, thankfully, power outages where I live are rare and when they do happen last maybe an hour tops. With this economy I have other items higher on my list right now

Again though, I have always wondered about how well the Rinnai worked with a UPS. Yes, you can read the PDF that Rinnai gives out and what they claim, but you always are left wondering. It is nice to have a real world experience.

A further update.

Thus far at the meter I have used 49 therms. Last year I used 59 with all the billing factors. I have a feeling with all the billing factors that might get me up to 53 or 55 or around a 10% savings.

This is a huge drop from my prior savings.

However ... in September I added a few rooms on to my house, or about 15% more heated/conditioned square feet. It makes sense that my furnace is going to work longer; hence, it is going to use more fuel too.

And so with that being said any future therm comparisons are going to be skewed simply due to the fact that my house is not the same this year as it was last year.

If I can break even I will be happy. The fact that I am still coming out ahead ... is icing on the cake ...
    Last edited by TheOak; 11-11-2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Fixed PDF link.