Toilet Flange Issue

Users who are viewing this thread

01sesedan

Reaction score
Here's my problem.

After installing the tiles on the wall, the center of the flange is 11" from the finished wall. I have the pipe sticking out above the floor, maybe 1.5', the elbow is 4" on the flange side and 3" on the drain.

Guess I'm screwed and cannot use 12" rough toilet. Do you think and offset would work? Should I look for 10" rough in? Not sure if there are any tricks to fit in a 12". All of the pipes are in the slab and would be hard to tear everything up again.

Thanks for you help..

Joe

drake_spec_gif.gif

Toto Drake works with 10-7/8" rough-in

Last edited by a moderator:

01sesedan

Reaction score
Sorry for the dumb question but what's the best way to measure it? I could go by the local HD and assemble a toilet to try and get the actual size. Do you think what HD has to offer is any good?

The plumbing supply house that has bathroom showroom are kind of far. Also, the only thing that I've been able to find at HD with a 10" rough is one...
What do you think about this toilet?

Thanks for your input..

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most toilets have a space behind the tank that gives you a little leaway. The amount of space varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and model-to-model, so there is no flat answer. A 10" rough-in toilet would be guaranteed to fit, some 12" ones would fit (barely) on 11". The manufacturer's spec sheet typically shows the designed gap, and there may be a little wiggle room with the bolt holes while keeping the horn over the flange.

Experience seems to indicate that a Toto Drake will fit (I've not personally measured it, but did select two of these to retrofit into my mother's house - it's a good toilet).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Reread Redwood's remarks about the Toto Drake. He installs many Toto toilets and you can take his word as gospel. While I can't speak from personal experience about the Drake, I do have a Toto Dartmouth (12" RI) installed on a flange that is an exact 12" rough-in, and there is exactly 2" between the wall and the tank. That means this toilet would mount on a 10" rough-in. It would be tight, but it would fit. So your 11" rough-in will be no problem. If you are interested in a Toto other than these two models, you should contact Redwood orTerry directly about them.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Take a look at this spec sheet linked below for the Toto Eco Drake.
On the second page top dimensional drawing look at the 1 1/8" space behind the tank between the tank and the wall.
(this dimension will be the same on all Toto Drakes)
The toilet could fit down to a 10 7/8 rough in before any wiggle room is needed with the bolts and flange.

Toto Eco Drake Spec Sheet

Most toilet manufacturers have on-line spec sheets that show this dimension.
It varies with different manufacturers and models.
I just know Toto Drakes because I have installed a "couple of them" now... LOL:D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks