New Kitchen Sink Installation

Users who are viewing this thread

rmcjec1

Reaction score
I have a new self-rimming kitchen sink to install. Manufacturer recommends placing sink in place and using sealant around the edge. I have read several suggestions on using plumber's putty or caulk at edge before placing on countertop and then applying caulk after in-place. Is this better? Is a latex silicone blend okay for this or would pure silicone be much better?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The idea is to never see any caulk at all, if possible. Put the bead UNDER the rim of the sink, thus making the seal. What oozes out should be very neatly wiped away, leaving only the tiniest bead of caulk visible. Any bead applied AFTER the sink drops in is by definition going to be too big. Caulk is a maintenance headache....subject to staining and mildew. The less, the better.

100% silicone is best, but not user friendly ( not water cleanup )

A siliconized kitchen/bath latex like DAP is good enough.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you use silicon, you can cut that with rubbing alcohol. 90%.

Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks