External Outlet requirement

Users who are viewing this thread

chippie

Reaction score
We've recently had a room addition to our existing home. Everything has passed inspection except for the new external outlet. The outlet is a GFCI receptacle. The problem is that the inspector said we must also have an AFC or GFC installed in the circuit breaker. When the electrician installed the AFC in the circuit breaker and a radio was plugged in the receptacle, the breaker tripped and cut off power. When the line is attached to a non GFC in the circuit breaker, the GFC outlet works fine.

My question is, if code requires both GFC circuit breaker and outlet, what could be a possible solution to the problem?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
We've recently had a room addition to our existing home. Everything has passed inspection except for the new external outlet. The outlet is a GFCI receptacle. The problem is that the inspector said we must also have an AFC or GFC installed in the circuit breaker. When the electrician installed the AFC in the circuit breaker and a radio was plugged in the receptacle, the breaker tripped and cut off power. When the line is attached to a non GFC in the circuit breaker, the GFC outlet works fine.

My question is, if code requires both GFC circuit breaker and outlet, what could be a possible solution to the problem?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I would ask for the EXACT code violation. :rolleyes: AFCI protection is NOT required for outdoor outlets, whether they are lighting or receptacles.

Brownizs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Easy fix, find a new inspector. Second fix, ask the first to provide the code reference, and what code the city goes by. Looking at one of the Inspector Forums, it amazes me how some of those guys stay in business, due to they are just like you and I, ask 100's of questions, and then still doubt what they see during the course of work that they are paid to make sure is correct.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is that outside outlet on its own circuit or does that circuit also provide power for things inside as well?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
AFCI protection is NOT required for outdoor outlets, whether they are lighting or receptacles.

What if they are tapped from a bedroom circuit?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's not that it can't have AFCI protection, it doesn't require it for an outside outlet...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks