Can I use an under cabinet WATER FILTER with a regular mixer tap kitchen faucet?

Users who are viewing this thread

silverlake

Reaction score
Hi.

In doing my kitchen remodel I had originally planned to have a main faucet and then a seperate tap for drinking water attached to a plain old Kenmore under cabinet water filter.

Now that my sink is installed and counters are being fabricated, this plan won't work. I need an alternate solution.

I am looking for something that works LIKE a faucet-attached Pur or Brita filter, but that can be controlled under the sink. I don't think that exists.

What I did find is an EverPure model that will work with a standard kitchen faucet at a full flow rate of 2.2:

http://residential.everpure.com/singleproduct.aspx?p=56

However, the gentleman and the call center wasn't sure it would serve its function on a facuet with a mixer tap since it only filters water through the cold input. My new faucet is one that has just one arm that controls the hot/cold as well as the rate of flow (my understanding is that this type of control is called a mixer tap...?)

This is my faucet:

http://www.blancoamerica.com/SPECIFICATIONS/157140.pdf

I am wondering, with this style of faucet, if the arm is pulled all the way in the direction of the cold water, does it shut off the hot and indeed I will get fully filtered water through this unit? Or will it only work unless you have separate controls for hot/cold?

I really appreciate any expertise in this area.

Thanks,
Jill:eek:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When you turn the control to cold, it does not mix any hot in, so for that part, yes, it would work. But, you'd be using up capacity of your filter every time you used any cold water. What's the problem with putting a hole in the counter? Even if it is granite, it's doable. What's the configuration of the counter and sink?

silverlake

Reaction score
When you turn the control to cold, it does not mix any hot in, so for that part, yes, it would work. But, you'd be using up capacity of your filter every time you used any cold water. What's the problem with putting a hole in the counter? Even if it is granite, it's doable. What's the configuration of the counter and sink?

Thanks for the input.

It isn't an issue of putting another hole in the countertop. I'm doing concrete and that's all good.

It's an issue of where the filter tap will now be.

I have needed to accomodate a double bowl sink in a small-ish sink cabinet and ended up with a Kindred model:

03665.jpg

As you can see, the smaller bowl on the right only has a 12" span. By the time I get my massive faucet in there I have little room to maneuver the faucet I bought for the cold tap, which only has a 4" reach. My bad. I don't want to spend more money on another faucet, especially now that I see I'll be trying to get tap water where my dishes will be draining. And there is no room above the large bowl because it is designed to go close to the wall and there is no room to drill behind it.

That's why I'm asking about hooking a filter up to a regular faucet.

You're right, I would be using filtered water every time I had the faucet all the way to cold, but since we use cold water for drinking and cooking and warm water for washing hands and dishes I was thinking it might not be a totally stupid arrangement.

I need filtered water at the sink in some capacity...

Last edited:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water filter

I tryed that myself some years ago,
you use up your filter at much faster rate if you figure what it cost to replace the filter each time you would figure out a different way to use the faucet,
if your faucet is the same as the picture get a faucet where the spout is the sprayer and that leaves a hole for filtered water
do away with the soap dispenser and install a dishwasher air gap
to protect you and your family's health ! ! !

Remember i was buying replacement filters at wholesale and it still cost more then i wanted to keep paying

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
picture

How about a picture of that "massive faucet" so we can see why it is causing a problem, because most massive faucets have the spout in the center and it would not be long enough to reach that left hand basin?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks