Toto Aquia I not passing inpection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Patchesj

Reaction score
I purchased 3 Toto Aquia I's for our new house. The plumber installed everything, but now we are failing our plumbing inspection and the plumber tells me the toilets aren't going to work. I'm not a plumber, and I'm not following exactly what is wrong. Basically he says they plug the sewer connection (septic in this case) and then flood the drains. They have this odd looking vacuum tube device they stick down the toilet to determine if the toilets are holding water properly in the trapway. Ours are not... He says he can remove the toilets, insert plugs, and the tests pass. Has anyone else run into this before? Could this be an installation issue?

Thanks

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'd say more likely a plumber issue or weird state code issue.

Where are you located?

Patchesj

Reaction score
KY. It sounds like the concern is over the rubber seal between the bowl and the plastic trapway. The plumber and plumbing inspector say that is where it is leaking. (On all 3 units....). Inspector also added that he almost never sees these toilets pass and that they are not even on the approved fixture list.

Patchesj

Reaction score
This is what is failing.

Attachments

• finalairtest.jpg
    finalairtest.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 411

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If we can assume that the installation was properly done, then I agree with Redwood. This almost has to be a local or state code that has not been overhauled. The big question is, what can you do about it! Pretty hard to fight city (or state) hall. We can all agree that it's BS, but they have the hammer.

Patchesj

Reaction score
Well, I just found out that they are placing the inflatable plug in the PVC trapway (unifit) of the toilet, not removing the UniFit and placing the plug in the actual drain pipe. Toto rep seems to think this is the problem. The other thing I discovered (while watching a Bob Villa video of all things..) is that the rubber gasket in the unifit seals better when coated with plumber grease. Mine was not. So hopefully the combination of the 2 will lead to a passed inspection.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Now if you can just convince the local yokels that they don't know all they should, you may be home free.

Patchesj

Reaction score
Right... I'm thinking it might be easier to get Toto to send me an Aquia II.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
test

Normally with that test they are checking the integrity of the entire system, and therefore they do not want the toilets, or anything, removed or modified from the way it will be when the house is put into service.

Patchesj

Reaction score
Update... The plumbers installed the toilets with plumbers grease on the rubber seals and made sur ethey were fully seating the toilet into the UniFit. Test passed! woohoo.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks