broken shower nozzle arm

Users who are viewing this thread

danbbbb

Reaction score
My shower was leaking at the tile wall and when I twisted the nozzle to remove the shower nozzle arm, it broke off flush with the 90 degree fitting it screws into. So now there is about an inch of threaded nozzle still in the fitting and there is only about a 2 inch opening in the tile to get at it. Any ideas on how to remove it?

thanks
dan

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Usually you do not have the tool to do it and since it could be expensive to get one if you knew where to find it, it may be safer to call a plumber before you damage the pipe in the wall and have to call him for a worse problem.

easy-out-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I usually get them out through the existing hole in the wall or, make it slightly larger but still small enough that the escutchion will cover it then by catching a piece of the thread and break it inward then grab it with pliers or, small vise grips continue round and round carefully breaking it inward without breaking it off. Kinda like opening a sardine can... It ends up looking like a helicoil and it comes out. Hopefully this works for you, there are other more expensive methods if this doesn't work.

HeliCoilthreadinserts.gif

On the siouxchief website click specialties, then tools... Scroll down to "Internal Nipple Wrench" That will get you there.

Another way that I get them out is by using a #7 easy out with 1/2" cut off the end.

1218a6pcspiral.jpg

If you can get it using the first method you don't have to buy any tools.

danbbbb

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas and quick response. Your first idea is what I tried, but the nipple broke off perfectly flush with the fitting and the 90 fitting is resessed over an inch into the wall. I tried pushing back an edge with a tiny chisel but I'm afraid of mucking up the threads and then have to break into the tile. A friend recommended using a hack saw blade to cut out the chrome nipple but that seems risky also. So, I'll start calling for the tools you recommended.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The #7 easy out is probably your best bet. You have to cut about 1/2" off and it is hardened metal so you need to use an abrasive cut off wheel.

Grinding 1/2" off will be slow and probably heat the metal causing it to lose its hardness.

danbbbb

Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, I bought the #7 easy out, ground off 1/2 inch and it came right out, as the name inplies, easily. I'm very happy!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks