ball valve blew up

Users who are viewing this thread

GregO

Reaction score
Installed a new water heater yesterday and had an unbelievably slow leak coming from a brass ball valve/copper connection - cut out the offending valve and, for fun, tried resoldering it to see if any more solder could have been taken up.

Nope! Solder kept melting and sliding off the pipe without anymore uptake. And eventually...BOOM! Sounded like a gunshot coming out of the pipe (~10" assembly including the ball valve). Blew the nylon seal out of valve. Had never done that before, but it was interesting.

Greg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll let the pros comment on why the valve blew up, but I can tell you why the solder didn't take. What makes solder draw into a joint is flux. Once the flux is gone, to add solder you must disassemble the joint completely, clean it so they will fit back together. Then start over with flux, heat, and solder. Anytime water seeps through the joint, I can not be just resoldered.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

The valve blew up because there was water trapped inside around the ball. First it became super saturated steam, and then when the pressure reached the proper point, it exploded, just like a water heater will except on a much smaller scale.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Just one of the hazards of plumbing, except you don't get the purple heart.:D Next time leave the valve open when you heat it up.

Rombo

Reaction score
Your lucky you didn't get that valve or the steam in the face you could of killed your self:eek:

Wrex

Reaction score
When soldering the pipe won't come up to sweating temperature unless the pipe being soldered is purged of water.

If a copper joint leaks as others said the proper procedure is to disassemble the joints sand the ends of the pipes. Using a wire brush clean out the fitting or valve apply flux and resweat.

If you blew the ball valve then the pipe definitely had water in it and yes as the others said it's best to leave any valve open when you are soldering both to reduce the chance of heat related valve damage and to prevent the situation you had.

Last edited:

GregO

Reaction score
ball valve

There's some misunderstanding here...

The ball valve was open - in addition, I tried resoldering that joint only after I cut it out to test. In the past, I've added flux to external joints and have had them "wick" some small amounts of solder, but this was simply experimental, and like I said, interesting in that it was a 10" loose section of pipe cut away and heated with the valve full-open.

Greg

When soldering the pipe won't come up to sweating temperature unless the pipe being soldered is purged of water.

If a copper joint leaks as others said the proper procedure is to disassemble the joints sand the ends of the pipes. Using a wire brush clean out the fitting or valve apply flux and resweat.

If you blew the ball valve then the pipe definitely had water in it and yes as the others said it's best to leave any valve open when you are soldering both to reduce the chance of heat related valve damage and to prevent the situation you had.

GregO

Reaction score
ball valve

Your lucky you didn't get that valve or the steam in the face you could of killed your self:eek:

To your point, definitely keep your face and other parts away from opened pipe ends just in case...:):D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Enen when the valve is open, there is water inside the body outside the ball. If it is half open, then the water can boil away without become superheated or building up destructive pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks