Sprinklers not popping up

Users who are viewing this thread

Ginnyginny

Reaction score
I have Rainbird sprinklers. Several of the heads aren't popping up. I cut the grass away from the heads, no change. I believe I need to change the entire heads. I read that I have to go down several inches and cut away the soil that is surrounding it. Sounds like a bit of work. I had a sprinkler repair guy out recently and I don't think he did that. I think he just unscrewed the old ones, put in the new ones. Can I go that easier way?

Thanks!

Ginny

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heads

Sure you can. If you can keep dirt from falling into the pipe while you do it, or take the head apart afterwards to flush it out. If not you may have the same situation you do now.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Failure to pop up is not usually related to the sprinkler itself. Even if the nozzle is clogged with dirt and wont spray, the pressure will push it up.

Now, if the bushing is completely shot, and water gushes from around it, that would affect popping up. You should see this condition readily.

Failure to pop up is related to pressure, and can be due either to the control valve, or to leaks somewhere in the line, often a broken riser, etc.

If you need JUST the head, these can be unscrewed by just clearing sod from around the upper inch or so of the body. If you have a broken riser , then of course you need to dig a large access hole.

Ginnyginny

Reaction score
It sounds like you are saying the reason to cut away soil down to where I'll be removing the body, is to keep soil from falling into the pvc pipe at the bottom?

Are you also suggesting flushing the system after removing the old body but before putting on the new one to flush out any dirt?

Thanks so much for your speedy reply and help!

Ginny

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Like Jimbo said - this is likely to be a lack of water pressure rather than a couple of bad heads.

You may well have a leak somewhere in the line that runs those heads, or the control valve for that zone is not opening completely.

A simple thing you can do is to run that zone for 15-20 minutes and walk around the yard looking for a soggy spot. That would indicate a leak that needs to be fixed.

Ginnyginny

Reaction score
Jimbo I will try your idea of looking for leaks at other sources.

I just read some notes I made after talking with Rainbird about a leaking head years ago. They recommended removing the "body" and flushing it with water and putting back on the same body. It worked in 2005. I may try that as well.

Thanks.
Ginny

Ginnyginny

Reaction score
I was wrong in my original message saying that the heads are not popping up. They pop up but only half way.

Sorry I wasn't more exact to begin with.

Ginny

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Heads that pop up part way can and often are a sign of low water pressure. I've had that happen on my system several times. Now time for some detective work to find the source of the low pressure (leak or malfunctioning control valve).

brizzx32

Reaction score
Hey Jimbo, what do you do when there is too much crud around the cylinder? I finally had to change out all my sprinklers because they weren't poping up any more they were getting stuck and now it seems that they are slowly starting to do the same thing? Please help

American Irrigation

Irrigation Installation and Repair Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.fixmyheads.com
Poor quality heads commonly stick down or only pop up partially. Toro, and Hardie spray heads are two of the most common that have this problem. Generally if the stem of the head will move freely by hand then the head is not sticking, you have a pressure problem. If the pressure issue is recent, look for a broken line, or a control valve not opening. Typically the control valve will be hissing if it isnt opening fully. Many times you can open the manual bleen or remove the solenoid on the control valve and that will allow the valve to fully open. If doing that causes the valve to fully open, then the problem is that the valve will need to rebuilt or replaced.

Good Luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks