(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Bathroom Stink Drains

Default Bathroom Stink Drains

Hello All,

I have Pegasus Sink drains in the hallway bathroom. There are two sinks. After running the water there is always a little bit of water left around the drain assembly. Maybe a couple of finger nails worth. There is also always this black stuff building up. I figured the black stuff was fungus from sitting water.

I tried putting some bleach on it and left it over night. This morning the black stuff was more plentiful and not it is kind of stuck to the sink. I can scrub it off but some is more stubborn that the other. I believe at this point that the standing water is causing the rubber stopper on the underside of the stop to deteriorate. Really not 100% sure though. Both sinks do this. One gets more use than the other and the one that gets more use has more black stuff.

You guys have any ideas on what exactly is going on here? Also how to make this go away? Am I going to have to replace the drain assemblies?

Thanks

Tom

Default drain

Your condition is usually causd by the installer placing a rubber gasket in the wrong location so the drain does not sit flush with the sink opening. IF that is the case in your sinks the drains have to be removed and installed properly.

HJ,

I installed the drain assemblies something that I've done at least 30 times. I installed the drains using plumbers puddy instead of the rubber gaskets that came with the drains. I've seen posts on this site indicating that it was ok to do so.

The rubber disolving is coming from the rubber on the undersides of the drain stops.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tom

Anyone?

Tom

Why not post a pic?

Because I spent a good amount of time scrubbing the black stuff off. So no more black stuff.

The problem I'm mainly having is the standing water. I'm sort of inclined to believe that maybe I just need to replace the drain assemblies and the problem would go away.

Maybe I will call Pegusus? Dang I don't speak any Indian languages.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by statjunk View Post
    Because I spent a good amount of time scrubbing the black stuff off. So no more black stuff.

The problem I'm mainly having is the standing water. I'm sort of inclined to believe that maybe I just need to replace the drain assemblies and the problem would go away.

Maybe I will call Pegusus? Dang I don't speak any Indian languages.

Tom
    Maybe you can get the local quiky mart guy to help you talk to them....

Bet it's one of those el cheapo plastic PU assemblies that never sit flush with the china cause the metal ring is crimped onto the plastic flange.

Crap Crap Crappity Crap....