Increase water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

tenner

Reaction score
Hi All,
Would like to increase water pressure in home, but need the correct steps so I don't mess it up. I recently purchased a water pressure gauge and it's reading 45-50psi. I hooked it to the washing machine hose bib. I have a prv,25aubz3 and an expansion tank. If anyone remembers my previous posts, I had the 3 stooges as my plumbers on an addition to my house for my mother-in-law.
I'm not sure if I turn off water to house and then increase water pressure by turning bolt on prv. Also, should I increase psi on expansion tank while water is off or on. As you can see, I want to be careful, so I woud like step by step to complete the job.Thanks guys for any help.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Leave the water on, leave the gauge on, leave the expansion tank alone. Turn up the PRV to about 60 lbs.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
once you turn up the pressure to 60 or what ever you want it to be at you need to set the Exp. tank to that pressure or 1-2 #s lower with the water shut off and the pressure relieved from the system.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Psi

The pressure in the expansion tank is relatively irrelevent as long as it is below the PRV setting and above zero. Set the PRV with the water turned on.

tenner

Reaction score
Thanx guys. Turned up prv with water on , now at 60psi and didn't touch expansion tank reading 50psi. Washing machine and shower much better. One other question. I have electric power washer for home that leaks alot of water from within the housing. Would the low water pressure effect this?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The pressure in the expansion tank is relatively irrelevent as long as it is below the PRV setting and above zero. Set the PRV with the water turned on.

If that is the case do you add air pressure to the factory tank pre set pressure of 40#s when installing tanks?

If you do add air do you do it with the water pressure on?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks