Potential Toto Vespin install problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Hey Fellas,
I went to fork over the dough and pick up a Toto Vespa from my local Toto dealer but he's out of stock in a Bone Elongated model. :(

In the mean time, though, he gave me a cutsheet that shows the dimensions. What it doesn't tell me, though, is how close to the wall the toilet base gets mounted. I see the tank is 3/4" away.

Because I live in an older house, my baseboard is quite tall and it is 3/4" thick (or perhaps a wee touch more) plus I've got a shoe moulding that extends out an additional 1/2".

I measure EXACTLY 13-1/4" from the baseboard (which is 3/4" thick) to the closet flange bolts on my existing model. Will I have to remove the shoe moulding in order to get the Vespa to fit?

Also, from the datasheet, it shows the skirt 11-3/4" wide. That means it will be only be 5/8" away (measured from edge, not center) from my supply rough in (which comes in on the floor). Is this too close?

My dealer told me that if things don't fit, as long as I have carefully unboxed it, I can bring it back for a full refund. I'd hate to get my POS (and cracked) Eljer out of there only to have to put it back. :(

I don't see why I couldn't rotate the unifit adapter slightly to get a little extra clearance if I needed it. Is there room for that under the skirt?

Thanks,
Jason

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The adapter that comes with the Toto toilets using the unifit adapter is designed for 12" from the finished wall to the center of the drain, so with over 13", that aspect will be fine, in fact, you could probably use the 14" adapter, but it would be close. The sheet also shows the suggested location of the water supply (which is coming out of the wall, not the floor). The drawings are to scale, so you should be able to get a good idea. BTW, it's Vespin, not Vespa...

Measured from the centerline, how far is the shutoff and how far from the finished wall?

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
It's the 14" unifit that I wanted to use. If I used the 12" incher, it would put the tank nearly 3" away from the wall!

Ah, yes, Vespin ... unless I want to ride this toilet all around town. :)

I did some wheelin' and dealin' with my local Toto rep to get the price down Jason

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, you'll have both the 12" and 14" adapters, since you need to buy the 14" separately. If the room is big enough, the space behind isn't that big a deal.

It's safer to buy locally, but I do admit buying on-line often - I've bought 4 toilets that way. One died in transit (I never saw it) and was replaced - all I knew was the tracking info suddendly showed a later date. Guess they figured the sound of broken glass-like pieces rattling around wasn't good!

cst474_side.jpg

Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.
The water shutoff can be as close as 5-1/2" to the left of center, unless it's higher off the floor, and then it can be even closer to center.
This shutoff had been replaced with a new 1/4 turn valve with brass nipple through the wall.
Installation was by James Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel 206-949-5683
In some of the older Seattle homes, the old toilets had been wall mounted tank toilets.
Those typically are 14" rough-in and need a flange repair to use standard closet bolt connections at the flange.
Everything is on the truck for that.
The Vespin comes with a standard 12" adapter or you can order a 10" or 14" adapter depending on your rough-in distance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks