(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: How do you stop an airhandler from condensating

Default How do you stop an airhandler from condensating

Our new airhandler is condensating just like the old on ethat was replaced. The A/C company has increased the plenum; the supply was lengthened and angled to eliviate turblance on the blower, etc.

Does anyone have any ideas? It appears that the A/C company is just guessing.

Thanks,
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by droemer View Post
    Our new airhandler is condensating just like the old on ethat was replaced. The A/C company has increased the plenum; the supply was lengthened and angled to eliviate turblance on the blower, etc.

Thanks,
    Doug
    Where is the Air Handler located? Basement, Crawlspace, Attic?

Condensing HOW? Evaporator coils are intended to condense moisture out of the air. Are you saying you have condensation on the outside or on ducts or pipes?

The airhandler is located in the garage. The airhandler is suspended from the garage ceiling. It is condesating on the bottom and side; closest to the blower motor and supply plenum.

The airhandler is located in the garage. The airhandler is suspended from the garage ceiling. It is condesating on the bottom and side; closest to the blower motor and supply plenum.
    It sounds like it's located in a moist area and is condensing just due to the return air.

Is there any way to make removable Styrofoam panels that enclose the unit?

Edit:
    Can you take a surface temperature measurement and compare that to the outside dew point?
    Important note – I don’t know man made laws, just laws of physics
    Disclaimer: I'm a big fan of Darwin awards.

Thanks,
    Doug
    Read my post titled, “Air handler / duct work problem”, and the post titled, “How much duct work fo I need”.
    I brought up the same question about a pressure test, and after some research, I found some good information on how much pressure, should be in the return side of the air handler. I have made an improvement on the unit, and it is 100 % better then what it was! I made my own manometer for around $20.00, (with the help of this great, great forum).

Mike

Insulate the outside of the cabinet.

Default condensation

IF a metal surface is chilled below the air's dew point, AND the air is humid, it WILL condense, period. It is a matter of physics. You have to raise the metal's temperature, which may not be possible if it cannot be internally insulated, (or you cannot raise the system's air temperature), or lower the humidity in the area, which may also be impossible, or separate the air from the metal with some sort of covering or insulation blanket.