Can't disconnect old gas stove connection

Users who are viewing this thread

AKRBT

Reaction score
I recently tried to move my gas stove out of the kithchen so I could tile. Could not unscrew the the flex hose from the gas connection- the iron pipe coming out of the floor has a shut off valve screwed to it, then an adapter, then the flex hose. I ended up cutting the flex pipe so I could move forward with the tiling. Now it is time to move the stove back in- I bought a new flex hose but still cannot disconnect the half of the flex hose attached to the valve/adapter. I am trying not to unscrew the valve, so as to not leak gas. I am using two cresent wrenches that fit well around the adapter flange and the flex hose flange. Maybe I am not tugging hard enough but it will not budge- I am assuming it is the old pipe thread compound locking the connection.. Any suggestions, and can I still reuse the valve and adapter flange if they remian in place- using new piepp thread compound to connect the new flex hose off course? I hate to pay a plumber $130 min. charge to come out and turn a wrench once, although of course then I have peace of mind.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would consider the money spent on a plumber to be a wise investment with huge dividends in peace of mind...

It's not fun to have a vacant lot filled with a pile of smoldering toothpicks....

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Those were know to seize up like that. If your flex line was gray color, probably made by the now-defunct US Brass, the line and the nuts were plated steel. You need bigger wrenches, and try a pre-soak in PB Blaster or other penetrating oil.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

There should not be ANY sealant on the threads. You need bigger wrenches. BUT, the new connector, if it is the right size may not fit the old adapter(s) because they have changed the line size requirements.

zenn68

Reaction score
Some of the adapters at the stove end may be left hand thread. You may be tightening while trying to remove it.

zenn68

Reaction score
I have one on my stove. the 1/2" TO 1/4" fitting at the stove end is left handed

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Well, that's the stove manufacturers weird fitting. I have not seen a left hand thread on any gas fittings that are part of the house plumbing.
I'd say that the plumber will have to replace the valve too once he/she starts turning the connections,the easier one will probably be at the valve body. There is one neighborhood that is manufactured houses and every flex line takes wrenches with cheater bars to loosen.

AKRBT

Reaction score
good advice

thank you- I think I have decided that the best bet on this one is to have a plumber do it- piece of mind with gas is certainly key.. maybe the priority order for DIYs getting help is really main-electrical/panels, home main water connection, gas, 220v, heating, supply, 110V, DWV..
I am going to post a probably controversial post about people like me who do laundry lists for plumbers so we get our money's worth when we have to call them out, and how plumbers feel about that (versus makiing good money on a big job)..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
list

I have no problem with people saving up their tasks AS LONG AS they do not wait until all the tools are put away and the bill is filled out, to say, "Oh, by the way, I also need (fill in the blank) done."

Wrex

Reaction score
Make sure that your "piece of mind" isn't unfounded make sure that the plumber leak checks the joints after the work is done.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
thank you- I think I have decided that the best bet on this one is to have a plumber do it- piece of mind with gas is certainly key.. maybe the priority order for DIYs getting help is really main-electrical/panels, home main water connection, gas, 220v, heating, supply, 110V, DWV..
I am going to post a probably controversial post about people like me who do laundry lists for plumbers so we get our money's worth when we have to call them out, and how plumbers feel about that (versus makiing good money on a big job)..

I suggest this to my customers whenever possible.

We charge more for the first hour than anything after, if you compile a list of things, the cost per job is much less.

I'm also happy to have more work with less travel.

Nothing at all controversial about that...it's a great idea.

Againdays

Reaction score
I recently tried to move my gas stove out of the kithchen so I could tile. Could not unscrew the the flex hose from the gas connection- the iron pipe coming out of the floor has a shut off valve screwed to it, then an adapter, then the flex hose. I ended up cutting the flex pipe so I could move forward with the tiling. Now it is time to move the stove back in- I bought a new flex hose but still cannot disconnect the half of the flex hose attached to the valve/adapter. I am trying not to unscrew the valve, so as to not leak gas. I am using two cresent wrenches that fit well around the adapter flange and the flex hose flange. Maybe I am not tugging hard enough but it will not budge- I am assuming it is the old pipe thread compound locking the connection.. Any suggestions, and can I still reuse the valve and adapter flange if they remian in place- using new piepp thread compound to connect the new flex hose off course? I hate to pay a plumber $130 min. charge to come out and turn a wrench once, although of course then I have peace of mind.

Againdays

Reaction score
I had the same problem. I used a pair of vise grips on the stove side fitting and a small pipe wrench on the whip or flex line side. When I used regular crescent/adjustable wrenchs although they were large it just wasn't enough and they wouldn't hold the grip. The vice grips held the stove side fitting where the Crescent/adjustable wrenches wouldn't. And my small pipe wrench had more power and hold to break it free .

stovehacker

Reaction score
If you're having difficulty disconnecting the gas stove connection, it's important to proceed with caution and prioritize safety. Here are a few steps you can take:

1. Turn off the gas supply: Locate the gas shut-off valve near the stove and turn it off. The valve is typically located behind the stove or in the vicinity. Make sure to turn the valve to the "Off" position.
  2. Use the proper tools: To disconnect the gas stove, you'll need an adjustable wrench or a pipe wrench. These tools will allow you to loosen and disconnect the gas line.
  3. Loosen the connection: Carefully use the wrench to loosen the connection between the gas line and the stove's gas inlet. Turn the wrench counterclockwise to loosen the fitting. Be gentle to avoid damaging the connection.
  4. Inspect for any additional connections: In some cases, there might be additional connections, such as a flexible gas hose or a shut-off valve. Ensure that you disconnect all necessary connections following the manufacturer's instructions or consult a professional if you're unsure.
  5. Seek professional assistance if needed: If you're still unable to disconnect the gas stove connection or have concerns about doing it yourself, it's best to seek assistance from a qualified professional, such as a gas technician or an appliance repair service. They have the experience and knowledge to safely disconnect the gas stove and address any potential issues.
Remember, gas-related tasks can be hazardous, so it's important to prioritize safety and consult a professional if you're unsure or uncomfortable with the process.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks