Badger 5 Disposal Leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Thinkly

Reaction score
My Badger disposal is about 9 yrs old and leaks profusely out of the sides of the unit, where the two "housings" meet. I am convinced that this spells doom for the disposal and it will need replaced.

Mainly because i can't find any other source for the leak. Is my thinking correct?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Yep, it's past its due. That disposal was under a $100 when it was first installed.

Upgrade to Insinkerator's Evolution Series.

Put one in monday, I think they paid $179 plus tax and the woman absolutely loved how quiet it was.

Stainless steel grinding chamber equals less smells.

Probably installed 30 of these since they first came out. No complaints, rubber connection to the waste lines which greatly diminishes vibrations/leaks under the sink.

Either that or replace it with another.

Installing the Evolution in the Seattle area.

evolutioncompact_med.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Time for that Badger to fly...
A long arcing trajectory to a slaimmin finish in the dumpster...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Personally I place it into my scrap pile...the last time I went to the scrap yard I got rid of 30 heaters and other stuff to the tune of just under $600.00. it took me 3 HRS. with a flat bed dump truck.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your model had a 2 year warranty, and a reasonable life expectancy of 5 years. I guarantee that the internal grind chamber is so rusted and dull that you are getting too-large particles of food stuffed into your drain which will lead to trouble. Time for a new disposal.

The Badger 5 sold for about $45 in 2000, and is about double that now, at the home stores. Consider an Evolution Compact, for about $165. More powerful, quieter, and more SS inside.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Personally I place it into my scrap pile...the last time I went to the scrap yard I got rid of 30 heaters and other stuff to the tune of just under $600.00. it took me 3 HRS. with a flat bed dump truck.

Sounds like you need a scrap metal dumpster at the shop.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks