tightening threaded valves, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

maihrs

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this problem area. I am a novice remodeler and twice when installing a hansgrohe volume control valve for my shower, i had problems tightening the valves the correct tightness AND lining up the valve to the correct position.
Should I add more layers of teflon tape, or tighten the heck out of it? :confused: Someone once suggested epoxy sealant! The idea makes me cringe.
Thank you in advance.
M.Serg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

I personally would not use tape but that is a personal preference. You would have to define "proper tightness" since there is no quantative way to know that point. You tighten it until you do not think it will leak, which could be a lot tighter than you are making it. Once you get close to that point, then you worry about getting it oriented properly.

CaptWally

Reaction score
Personally I would use a quality pipe dope or sealant. First evaluate how many turns it takes to tighten the fitting to your satisfaction. DON'T overtighten it! If you have to tighten it too much to orient it properly, don't do it. Use a quality thread sealant ot "pipe dope" and tighten it until it is the proper position. Let it set and cure for at least 48 hours before you even look at it. The quality thread sealant I am talking about should be a compound that hardens in that time, ensuring a positive and solid seal. Look and ask for Jo-Mar, ('Gimme the Green Stuff!') or more difficult to find, 'EZ ThreadSeal.' Both excellent products. Steer away from the thread sealant that your local Home Center has in stock unless it is approved for chemicals, gasses and water. You want something that once you have the fitting placed, it will dry and make a seal that you won't have to worry about.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
use the tape luke

if you just heap on a little more tape and make sure that you dont get it lapping over into the actual fitting inside, it will work ok.

occasionally this stuff will make fine little threads and get into the valve body making the faucet leak. its a slight risk only...

personally , I use both tape and any decent brand of pipe dope....

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
My two cents: With over thirty years of experience, we resort to this untested ritual...as instructed by a teflon mfr's rep years ago: Teflon wrapped in the correct orientation (so that the tape is smoothed out while assembling) two and a half wraps (up to 1" pipe). Then a bit of your favorite joint compound to act as further lubrication and extra insurance. Never, ever had a leak.

We have been on dozens of sprinkler jobs (we're the plumbers) where I see them using the same methodology.

CaptWally

Reaction score
Definitely can't argue, since I do the same thing with great success. It is especially effective when threading equally hard materials, ie a galvanized fitting to a cast iron pump... Softer materials generally I use only Jo-Mar dope.

Good info!

maihrs

Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you, everyone, for your advice...i wish i had been able to advise my "plumber" before he globed on the epoxy! :)

CaptWally

Reaction score
Just remember, and I don't think any of us mentioned this: Once tightened, do not back off or loosen the fitting in question. That only invites leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks