How to define a slow drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Big Dawg

Reaction score
How do I decide if I have a slow drain in my shower? Is there a standard gallons per minute drain or some other method to see if it is ok? I just put in a new tun and I am not sure if the drain screen is making things slower, if the old tub drained at that speed, or if I am just plain nuts (which my brother suggested when I told him I thought the drain was slow). Any help would be appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A shower drain should easily keep up with a single showerhead. Now, if you have multiple heads, at some point (if this is a tub/shower with a 1.5" drain) you'll exceed the capacity. I doubt you'd do that in a residential shower with a 2" pipe in a standard shower.

If I had to guess, I'd say my tub drain runs at about 12 gallons/minute (it's about a 40-gallon tub when filled and drains in about 3-minutes) into a 1.5" drain.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Drain screens may slow down a tub drain.
As already stated if it won't keep up with the shower something needs to be done.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I know I need to clean my shower drain if I ever find myself standing in a puddle of water when my shower is on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks