Advice for PEX/Plumbing Newbie

Users who are viewing this thread

letdown

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I am a newbie to the plumbing world and I have never done anything more complicated than putting in a stop value and putting in a new faucet. My house was built shortly after World War I and it has a every type of plumbing type in the book (copper, PVC, galvanized, PEX). I would like to replace the galvanized pipes that go to the kitchen sink with PEX and hook it up to an existing galvanized feed line.

My problem is that most resources only have two pages on Pex or two pages on Galvanized and almost nothing on marrying the two. Any advice on good resources to build up my knowledge base would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Letdown

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Any PEX system will have transition fittings to connect to threaded pipe.

You need to find out what brand of PEX is available in your area, and what special ( $$expensive$$) tools you will need to assemble it.

PEX is fine if well done. Not so long ago, a person could not even purchase PEX unless they were certified factory trained. That has changed, but what has not changed is that there is a right way and a wrong way to assemble PEX fittings. You need to do your homework. Each brand of PEX uses different fittings and tools.

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
Like jimbo said, you have to convert to a threaded fitting.

PEX is tricky in that you can't use hose clamps like you can for poly.

Sharkbites work, but are expensive and you have to be careful not to damage the O-ring.

PS: I still think CPVC is better for DYI house plumbing.

Rayh78

Reaction score
you just fine a threaded end of the old pipe you want to connect to and buy the pex fitting that has threads on one end and pex barb on the other.
Also pex ZURN brand fittings are the only ones that seem to have had a few problems. Get anyother brand.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
My advice is to get rid of as much of the galvanized as possible, and replace it with CPVC. Its the easiest for most DIYers and they make plenty of adapters to transition to copper. PEX is great for new construction but is a pain for repairs because the tools are so big and expensive.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That would depend on what you select for materials.
SSC crimpers can be picked up for about $50

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks