Definition

Users who are viewing this thread

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I am posting this question under plumbing because there is no category in which it fits and I want to have the widest viewing audience.

I often see the word ect in posts on this and many other forums. I haven't any idea of what ect means other than it being an abbreviation for electro-convulsive therapy. The context in which this word is used does not lead me to believe that shock therapy is what the writer was thinking when they used that word.

So, my friends, what the heck is ect?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Etcetera most likely, which is etc not ect but sometimes the old fingers get twisted out of shape :D

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Electronically controlled transmission. Push the button that says it on my 1999 Rav4 and the gears shift more aggressively at higher RPMs.

Just like the M button on a BMW M series.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
ETC also means Electronic Traction Control Take it from the wheels that slip and give it to the ones that grip!

Gdog

write diagnostic firmware for embedded industrial
Reaction score
Et cetera is abbreviated etc. but very commonly mis-abbreviated as "ect."

I see it all the time.

Another one is the term "a lot" is commonly misspelled as "alot".

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody. I was having some fun. I understand a slip of the fingers once in a while or an occasional honest mistake but gee willikers, sometimes I will see ect several times in the same post and some people it seems honestly don't know the difference.

Gdog, that alot drives me up the wall. :rolleyes:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
etc.

Latin. et means and
cetera means something like the rest

(Thank you Buster Navins.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks