My water pressure education

Users who are viewing this thread

KKfromNJ

Reaction score
So, this all started with a simply water heater replacement. My parent’s 70-year-old home has an open water system; they never had a water pressure regulator. I’ve learned a lot since posting about a “vacuum relief valveâ€. My Dad’s a tad set in his ways, “We’ve lived all these years without all that fancy stuff, why do we need it nowâ€.

I picked up a cheap watts screw on pressure gauge; the instructions say if it’s above 60 psi you need a prv. Their house reads a hair over 100psi. I guess I have to battle with Dad a little :eek:

I can hear them now :mad: “My shower was fine till you messed wih itâ€.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Actually it's above 80 Psi. you need a PRV but neither here nor there he needs one...

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
I disagree. While current plumbing codes may have some magic number above which a pressure reducing valve is mandated, the mere fact that this particular house has done without for several decades PROVES that a PRV is not NEEDED.

I know where there are hundreds, if not thousands, of residences that have in excess of 100 psi city water service without also having PRVs to reduce the pressure to below 80 psi and they survive just fine. That said, I agree that limiting the water pressure inside a residence to 80 psi or less is a good idea.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would say that it comes down to what each of us define as "need". True, you home will not suddenly explode if it has 100 psi. However, there is no question that 100 psi will be hard on appliances, but since not all appliances and etc., will fail due the this pressure, it would be extreme to say that a PRV is absolutely necessary. It is my opinion that in these cases that wise, advisable, desirable, or similar words might be a better choice. So perhaps those of us who deem a PRV necessary for a PSI of over 60 or 80 might want to back off a tad on the use of need.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
When you tell him he also needs a new expansion tank on his water heater to go with his new PRV he will feel vindicated.

Open systems rule! I love mine.

Expansion tank. No thanks!

Watch the meter roll backwards. Cool!

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Okay so the code says 80 PSI and above requires the installation of a PRV...
So what if there is excessive velocity in pipes, valves may fail prematurely, toiet tanks never empty down enough for flappers to close and water is wasted, and the higher pressure may shorten water heater service life...
If the T&P doesn't drip don't worry about it...
It's not my house!

You don't need to install one! I recommend that you do though!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Open systems are a disaster waiting to happen with a back flow incident.

If there going to keep the 100 PSI at least they should install a watts #7 check valve and Exp. tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks