Extending shower drain barell

Users who are viewing this thread

matty180

Reaction score
Hi, new to the board,

I was wondering if anybody knows where to get a extended shower drain barell. 2" ips. I need one that is about 3 inches long from the top of the drain to the end of the threads. All of the ones I have looked at are only about 2 inces in total length. Or if somebody can tell me how to extend it. It has to be a nice drain it is for a travertine shower floor.

Thanks Matt

matty180

Reaction score
It's for a shower drain. My mud base is about 1 3/4 " thick and I ran out of adjustment. I am just looking for a longer drain barell or a way to extend the threads.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like the pan is constructed correctly. A shower pan normally is made up of multiple layers, a preslope, liner, then setting bed, then top layer of tile. The drain would be set so the clamping layer is at the level of the preslope so that the weep holes would be in the setting bed. A setting bed wouldn't normally be that thick, allowing room for enough adjustment to become flush with nearly any normal tile used in a shower.

Can you describe how it is constructed? If you want to read the proper construction technique, check out www.johnbridge.com. They've got numerous articles in their 'Liberry' (sic).

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thats why I was asking for a pic...
It definitely sounds like something isn't right.

matty180

Reaction score
It is constructed properly. Thin layer of thinset (to bond mix to plywood),then preslope, then felt paper, then liner, then mud. This is a no curb shower where the bathroom floor will be flush with the shower floor. The bathroom floor was rasied 3/4 " so I need some extra thread. All I am looking for is somewhere to get a longer barrell.

thanks matt

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

They are not generic, so what you have is probably all that is available for your drain. Now, if it were a commercial shower with a Josam, Wade, or similar housing, then there are ways to elevate it, but probably none for your drain.

matty180

Reaction score
isn't a 2" ips thread standard? It's a watts commericial grade drain.

matt

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well if the mentioned Dia. and thread pitches in their specs it would help but they don't...
http://www.watts.com/pdf/ES-WDPL-SDCP-SDNB-SDPB.pdf

SDCP.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks