Problems with Installation of Fiberglass Shower Pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Neal Johnson

Reaction score
Hello all.

I originally posted this thread over at John Bridge but as I progressed through the process I was referred over here.

I am replacing a fiberglass shower pan in my basement. The original was 30 years old and had an ABS stub pounded into a 4" to 2" cast iron fitting in the cement floor. The pan was then placed over it and oakum and lead (must have been cold pounded) used to seal the ABS.

I removed the ABS but now I need to install the new pan and seal it to the 4 x 2 fitting. I thought of using a Fernco shower fitting but I'm not sure if that is the way to go. I also don't see an appropriate shower fitting for the pan at my local home centers. (Home Depot, Lowes, Menards)

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Neal

Attachments

• Shower Drain 2.jpg
    Shower Drain 2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,208
  • Shower Drain 4.jpg
    Shower Drain 4.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 605
  • Shower Drain 5.jpg
    Shower Drain 5.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 761

mreeves

Reaction score
what about the trap

Is there a trap under this shower or does this go directly into the 4" main. There are several ways that you can do this. As a professional I would consider CAREFULLY breaking out the concrete around the drain and plumbing this up correctly with a 2" glue trap and steel wraped frencos connecting to the 4" main and recementing. If you just want to tie into what you have at minimal cost then go to your local plumbing supply house and they should be able to set you up with the correct tie in fittings and pan adapter that you will need.

Neal Johnson

Reaction score
Yes, there is a trap in the floor. I was hoping to just connect to what is already there.

Looks like I'm off to the plumbing supply house. Thanks for the reply.

Neal

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks