Broken Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

flightline23

Reaction score
I bought a home that was built in 1971 last year. I used the warranty that came with the home last week when my garage and kitchen filled with water. The Plumber said it was the water heater and replaced it. there was a drain hole in the floor which was covered by a new drain pan that the plumber said was spec. Apparently my pipes are also stopped up according to plumber #2 that came out. Both plumbers told me not to worry about the drain pipe but I am worried that next time something clogs up water will once again pour into my house. Is there a way to seal this pipe...it is approx 2 1/2 to 3" in diameter and appears to be an old metal rusted pipe broken off at the slab. My plan is to elevate the new heater on a 12" high platform so I can get to the drain. But I am unsure how to seal it off. Any advice would be helpful.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Why would you want to seal this drain pipe?(I'm assuming its a floor drain)
I would think that you would want the floor drain to be operating/draining any water that falls on the floor.

HD carries "flood check valves" that you place in the opening that lets water in, but stops water from backing up into the room

Attachments

• floodguard-floatmodel.jpg
    floodguard-floatmodel.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You are thinking backwards. The drain pipe is already "plugged up", that is why you had the flood when the water heater leaked. The water did not come up OUT of the pipe. The plumbers told you wrong. You should have been concerned about the pipe, and they SHOULD have cleared it out before they installed the heater.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks