Bathtub drain & cleanout plate

Users who are viewing this thread

sdjerry

Reaction score
This is basically two questions in one thread, so I'll get to it. I have attached a picture of the drain and the clean out plate in my bathtub. Basically I've only been able to take showers in this tub, never a bath. And that's because there's no sort of drain stopper with this, I've tried the cheap rubber stoppers but I can't find the right size and so water always gets through and it won't hold a bath. Is there any possible way I can replace this drain with a toe touch drain stopper myself? I'm thinking it's as simple as removing this old one and replacing it with a new one, but maybe I'm dreaming and it's best left to a plumber, you tell me.

Also where a lot of baths have the lever for a drain stopper mine just has a clean out, and as you can see there is a clean out plate. The plate is old and unattractive, any way I can simply buy a replacement plate that looks newer and better and just replace it?

Thanks for your help in advance. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 6,334
  • IMG_0062.JPG
    IMG_0062.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 6,055

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You may be able to find a toe tap or, lift and turn that threads right into the existing drain. It looks like that is what was originally there.

Big box should had that and the overflow plate...

sdjerry

Reaction score
Thank you for responding Redwood.

I don't see any visible threads inside this drain, so would a lift & turn style stopper still work with this somehow?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thank you for responding Redwood.

I don't see any visible threads inside this drain, so would a lift & turn style stopper still work with this somehow?

In the pic, I definitely see threads in the center of the crossbar X. Those threads will usually be either 5/16" or 3/8". Those are the two common sizes of lift&turn or push pull stoppers you will find.

sdjerry

Reaction score
Thank you for pointing out the threads in the center of the hole as I did not notice them. This should be a fairly simple task then.

Regarding my clean out plate, forgive me if this sounds silly, but can that plate be opened without turning the water off? I mean if pop that thing open water isn't going to come gushing out of there will it? :)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Nope, open it up it is connected to the drain.
If your tub was ever to clog that would be the access point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks