new Am Std cartridge leaks...replaced still leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

captjackny

Reaction score
I have a new house and the shower was dripping when turned off. The plumber came and said I need a new cartridge even though the one installed was new. It was an American Standard R120 type P. All the rubber gaskets look just fine. After waiting 2 weeks they came with a new cartridge and installed it. The shower head still leaked in the same way as the other one. What are the odds that 2 new cartridges would leak in the same fashion? Now I am waiting for a 3rd.

Anyone ever heard of this with American standard or other brands? Could the plumber got mixed up when removing the old and accidentally reinstalled the bad one? He is perplexed and said it has to be the cartridge. he also checked the water pressure and it is 50 which is OK. I also have another shower in the house with the exact cartridge and it dose not leak.

any guesses as to what’s happening?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Am. Std. is one of my least favorite brands...
Try another cartridge! Defects run rampant with Am. Std. products!

mbamerstand

Reaction score
I had this same problem with a one-handle american standard tub faucet. Replaced the cartridge twice-still leaked. Turned out to be the "pressure balancing unit" which is in the valve body behind the cartridge. It's held in by three screws that you can see when you take off the cartridge and the trim plate. On mine it was part
# 051091-0070A. I also found out that American Standard will send free parts to the original owner. Phone 800-442-1902.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks