Surging Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

dennisc

Reaction score
I pull water from a ditch to irrigate my lawn, and my pump has been surging recently, but only on 4 of 6 zones; for 2 of the zones, there is no surging and the heads are at full pressure. I also changed the valves on the 4 surging zones, but that didn't help. I'm at a total loss. Any suggestions?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Surging can also be caused by operating a pump in the wrong part of the range.

Some centrifugal pumps have a characteristic in the flow range between 0 and 20 percent of the design flow where the head (pressure) is a little greater at a low flow than it is at zero flow. That can cause a condition where the GPM/Head characteristic for the combined pump and downstream system is not sharply defined and the flow will oscillate over a range of flow.

If that is the problem it can be solved by operating the pump in the range where there is a significant down-slope in the head vs. GPM curve. Also, that usually puts you in the range of maximum efficiency. The point of maximum efficiency is often where the head is 70 to 80 percent of shutoff head.

I suggest you try operating the offending zones at higher flows. You can simulate that by replacing one head with a valve that you can open when the pump is surging. Opening the valve to permit higher flow will probably solve the problem. You can then fix the problem by putting higher flow heads, or more heads, on that zone.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks