Running Supply Lines

Users who are viewing this thread

jimdeprado

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of running supply lines to a new bathroom and laundry in the basement. I have the lines tapped in and run to shutoff valves (see attached pictures - nothing below the valves is glued in yet). I need to run both hot and cold both left and right of the valves. Is there a neat way to do this? I can easily get three of them set up, but the 4th always crosses another line. Is this OK? Also, if they do cross, should I put something between them to prevent them from hitting or making noise? Is there a minimum distance that I need to make them. Or do I just use a bunch of 90s and make a "box" around the pipe rather than going next to it.

Two other questions:
1) Is there a neater way to use the purple primer? I put it on and it always seems to run everywhere.
2) I have 2" drain lines that I have to run through the walls. What size hole do I drill for the hole? Should I put something in the hole similar to a pipe insulator for a supply line?

Thanks in advance for all of your help,

Jim

Attachments

• DSC_3341.jpg
    DSC_3341.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 529
  • DSC_3345.jpg
    DSC_3345.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 535

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use fittings such as 45's to avoid hitting the other water line's. Also you have to use the proper glue if your using cpvc. Use Flowguard one step glue if you can find it. Please find a clear primer instead of the purple. Purple never look's good when it is used.

Rich H

Civil Engineer
Reaction score
Two things:

1) Check your local code - purple primer may be REQUIRED by code so that inspectors can verify that you did, in fact, use a primer. I know with PVC DWV, purple primer is required. I know nothing about CPVC. Try knocking off a little of the primer back inside the can before applying it.

2) Please go get some plastic pipe clamps to secure your lines rather than those metal ones. CPVC will exand and contract somewhat with hot/cold temps. Combined with the movement of the pipes from simply turning water on and off, you are creating the potential for pipe breakage/leaks at your metal clamps. Probably won't ever happen, but you only get to do that stuff behind the wall once.

Wrex

Reaction score
Two things:

2) Please go get some plastic pipe clamps to secure your lines rather than those metal ones.

Rich makes a good point this is crucial I have read that code doesn't allow this on PVC pipes.

They must either be plastic or they must be metal with a plastic covering around them.

The theory is the harder metal may wear away the softer PVC pipe and cause a leak.

Those things in the picture look like conduit straps.

As for the purple primer sometimes it does make a mess but it's purple so that an inspector can easily see if you have primed the PVC.

I remember getting it on my hands I was purple like Barney for days :).

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I asked if the pipe was flowguard gold. or plain old cpvc.
Is that confusing?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No, it's not gold, its cpvc. the brand name is flowguard gold. Purple primer can be applied without slopping it all over if you take a little time, but then again that kind of defeats the whole reason for using cpvc in the first place. Well that and the cost. Personally I wouldn't install cpvc in anything other than a shed or dog house.

jimdeprado

Reaction score
Thanks!!

Thanks for the replies. It is flowguard gold that I bought from Lowes. I will replace the clamps with plastic and I went out and bought some 45s to have the one pipe "jog" around the other. I will post some pictures when I am done.

Does anybody have any recommendations on what size hole to drill for 2" drain line? How about for 1 1/2" vent?

Thanks,

Jim

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Before you drill anything, check your code. There are very specific rules for drilling and notching.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks