Toilet options

Users who are viewing this thread

7echo

Reaction score
I am going to remodel the bathroom. Looking at toilets I like the skirted style for ease of cleaning, wife likes the look of older things so we decided on the Guinevere. Went to the supply house and quote was $675. Ouch, a little higher than I expected. Can you all recommend some options that are less expensive? I do not want a $125 cheapo and figured around $400/$450 would get me in the high end.
Suggestions are appreciated!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look at the Toto Dartmouth. The styling fits quite well in older home, at least I think so. It has much the flush as the Drake, a nice size water spot. It is available in both standard and ADA height and a good selection of colors. Not the cheapest toilet, but not the most pricey either.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While buying a heavy, breakable thing like a toilet is best done locally, there are companies that sell them on-line. At least that would give you an idea of the price range and maybe give you a little more leverage locally. Once you go non-white, the costs go up, and some colors are particularly big premiums (if this applies to your choice).

Fiber Queen

Reaction score
Kohler Class five beats Toto g-max in my book!

After much research, my husband and I replaced all our toilets w/1.6 gpf models last year. Terry Love's website was helpful. Based on Love's website, we wanted to put G-max Toto toilets in all four bathrooms, but they were not attractive enough for our master bath, where the toilet I more visible than in the others. We wanted a traditional look, and therefore chose a Kohler Memoirs, which has the new Class 5 system and is rated almost as highly as the Totos. As it turns out, the Kohler performs much better than the Totos. Don't let all the hype about Totos keep you away from Kohler class 5 models. They are better looking, sometimes cheaper, and perform beautifully in the real world.

A fiber-eating vegan, San Francisco

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
After much research, my husband and I replaced all our toilets w/1.6 gpf models last year. Terry Love's website was helpful. Based on Love's website, we wanted to put G-max Toto toilets in all four bathrooms, but they were not attractive enough for our master bath, where the toilet I more visible than in the others. We wanted a traditional look, and therefore chose a Kohler Memoirs, which has the new Class 5 system and is rated almost as highly as the Totos. As it turns out, the Kohler performs much better than the Totos. Don't let all the hype about Totos keep you away from Kohler class 5 models. They are better looking, sometimes cheaper, and perform beautifully in the real world.

A fiber-eating vegan, San Francisco

Ummmm If you didn't install a Toto how do you know this?
Just curious...

Loke

Reaction score
Perhaps they did install Totos in their other 3 bathrooms - at least that's how I read the message: just the one bathroom got the Kohler. But I may be wrong...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
, but they were not attractive enough for our master bath,

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it sounds like you ended up wtih toilets that pleased you and work well. Good job.

Personally, when I am using or shopping for a toilet, the word "attractive" is not in the picture at all!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks