(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 51 of 51

Thread: Internal cable clamps and old wiring

  1. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    Just what is the purpose of having the box in the first place?

    Could it have anything to do with confinement of any type of arc that could occur?

    Mike,
    I am not an electrician not even close. Last time I checked an arc can get to over 5k degrees am I supposed to believe that a plastic box is going to confine a 5000 degree arc in any meaningful way ?

    Lou

  2. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob NH View Post
    I suspect that, at least with respect to homeowners, "The insurance won't pay" argument does not apply.
    This is generally correct, they will however gladly sue any body they don't insure if they think they are at all to blame.

    http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Jun/1/127907.html

  3. #48
    Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLou View Post
    Mike,
    I am not an electrician not even close. Last time I checked an arc can get to over 5k degrees am I supposed to believe that a plastic box is going to confine a 5000 degree arc in any meaningful way ?

    Lou

    Hey Lou
    I'm no engineer but that is exactly the reason for having enclosures aroung joints, splices ect.........

    Edited to add;
    An arc flash can reach as high as 32000 degrees
    Last edited by jwelectric; 09-06-2008 at 08:06 PM.

  4. #49
    Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigLou View Post
    This is generally correct, they will however gladly sue any body they don't insure if they think they are at all to blame.

    http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Jun/1/127907.html
    as well as the ones they do insure if they are the blame

  5. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    as well as the ones they do insure if they are the blame
    Only if it was intentional. Insurance covers stupidity when it comes to a homeowner. Same holds true for the licensed guys. Their insurance pays when they screw up.

  6. #51
    Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drick View Post
    Only if it was intentional. Insurance covers stupidity when it comes to a homeowner. Same holds true for the licensed guys. Their insurance pays when they screw up.
    Believe it or not, installations such as described in this thread would be intentional and also noncode compliant and opens that door.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •