Internal cable clamps and old wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Get you panties out of a bunch, I had to go on a trouble call, seems like someone added some sheath and caught the wall on fire, guess you were right after all. :rolleyes:

Hope that no one was hurt by this hack type of installation :):p

JWelectric

Reaction score
After some discussion with the electrical inspector and homeowner we have decided that a little black tape and some heat shrink could fix this problem.

On the interior of the building we will slip a little sheathing over the conductors and all is well.

needsheathing.jpg

What do you all think?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You're a funny guy Mike. You dodge questions better than McCain and Obama combined.

I hope that you can answer the second question for yourself.

Of course I can but I was asking you. It was a rhetorical question anyway. I know exactly how you think.

After some discussion with the electrical inspector and homeowner we have decided that a little black tape and some heat shrink could fix this problem.

Yeah....that is exactly what we were talking about. An inch of sheath to extend into a plasic JB. You're funny dude.

BTW..... unprotected SE cable is one of those code compliant but dangerous things. We don't even do that in the wild west. We have more common sense than to run power lines within reach of children and landscapers :cool:

The book says it's right but common sense says it's wrong.

BigLou

Reaction score
Just what is the purpose of having the box in the first place?

Could it have anything to do with confinement of any type of arc that could occur?

Mike,
I am not an electrician not even close. Last time I checked an arc can get to over 5k degrees am I supposed to believe that a plastic box is going to confine a 5000 degree arc in any meaningful way ?

Lou

JWelectric

Reaction score
Mike,
I am not an electrician not even close. Last time I checked an arc can get to over 5k degrees am I supposed to believe that a plastic box is going to confine a 5000 degree arc in any meaningful way ?

Lou

Hey Lou
I'm no engineer but that is exactly the reason for having enclosures aroung joints, splices ect.........

Edited to add;
An arc flash can reach as high as 32000 degrees

Last edited:

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
as well as the ones they do insure if they are the blame

Only if it was intentional. Insurance covers stupidity when it comes to a homeowner. Same holds true for the licensed guys. Their insurance pays when they screw up.

JWelectric

Reaction score
Only if it was intentional. Insurance covers stupidity when it comes to a homeowner. Same holds true for the licensed guys. Their insurance pays when they screw up.

Believe it or not, installations such as described in this thread would be intentional and also noncode compliant and opens that door.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks